A compact ultra-wideband (UWB) top-loaded antenna for multiservice wireless applications is presented. It consists of a metal cone radiator, a small ground plane, four shorting poles and a top-cross plate, among which the top-cross plate with two slots shorted to the ground planet is important to broaden the low frequency bandwidth. The measured result shows that an improved impedance bandwidth of 185% from 1.17 to 30 GHz is achieved. The omnidirectional stable radiation pattern in the horizontal plane is also obtained. The volume of proposed design is approximately 0.0173λ3 at 1.17 GHz. With the small volume and UWB characteristic, the design of the proposed antenna is very suitable for many wireless standards such as Softbank (1427-1500 MHz), DCS1800, PCS1900, UMTS, IMT2000, Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz), WiMAX (2.2-5.5 GHz), UWB (3.1-10.6 GHz), and satellite communication (X band, Ku band and Ka band).
2. Jeong, W., J. Tak, and J. Choi, "A low-profile IR-UWB antenna with ring patch for WBAN application," IEEE Antennas Wireless. Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1447-1450, 2015.
3. Aten, D. W. and R. L. Haupt, "A wideband, low profile, shorted top hat monocone antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 4485-4491, 2012.
4. Zuo, S.-L., Y. Yin, Z.-Y. Zhang, and H.-K. Song, "Enhanced bandwidth of low-profile sleeve monopole antenna for indoor base station application," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, 1587-1588, 2010.
5. Zhao, Y., Z. Shen, and W. Wu, "Wideband and low-profile monocone quasi-yagi antenna for end-fire radiation," IEEE Antennas Wireless. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 325-328, 2017.
6. He, K., S.-X. Gong, and D. Guo, "Broadband omnidirectional distributed antenna for indoor wireless communication systems," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, 1361-1362, 2016.
7. Elsherbini, A. and K. Sarabandi, "Very low-profile top-loaded UWB coupled sectorial loops antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 800-803, 2011.
8. Yeoh, W.-S. and W. S. T. Rowe, "An UWB conical monopole antenna for multiservice wireless applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless. Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1085-1088, 2015.
9. Nguyen-Trong, N., A. Piotrowski, T. Kaufmann, and C. Fumeaux, "Low-profile wideband monopolar UHF antennas for integration onto vehicles and helmets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, 2562-2568, 2016.
10. Shi, Y., A. K. Amert, and K. W. Whites, "Miniaturization of ultrawideband monocone antennas using dielectric loading," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, 432-441, 2016.