In this letter, a two-element wide-band patch antenna array with low cross-polarization is presented. The patch is excited by a magnetic-coupled loop. The two elements are placed symmetrically about the center of the array. Compared to the conventional feeding structure, the proposed feeding structure has the advantages of simple structure and much lower cross polarization. Parametric studies show the usefulness of the proposed feeding structure. Prototypes for the element and array have been fabricated and tested. The antenna array can achieve an impedance of 29.1% for VSWR <2 and a stable gain around 11.2 dBi. Unidirectional radiation patterns with low cross polarization less than -18 dB within the 3-dB beamwidths are obtained. The height of antenna is about 0.12λ(where λ is the free-space wavelength referring to the center frequency of the working band). Moreover, the proposed antenna is dc grounded, which is suitable for outdoor base station applications.
2. Wang, H., X. B. Huang, and D. G. Fang, "A single layer wide-band U-slot micro-strip patch antenna array," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 9-12, 2008.
3. Liu, S., S. S. Qi, W. Wu, and D. G. Fang, "Single-layer single-patch four-band asymmetrical U-slot patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 9, 4895-4899, Sep. 2014.
4. Deshmukh, A. A. and G. Kunar, "Broadband compact V-slot loaded RMSAa," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 17, 951-952, 2006.
5. Yang, W. W. and J. Y. Zhou, "Wide-band low-profile substrate integrated waveguide cavity-backed E-shaped patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 143-146, 2013.
6. Wong, T. P. and K. M. Luk, "A wide-band L-probe patch antenna array with wide beamwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 3012-3014, 2003.
7. Yun, W. and Y.-J. Yoon, "A wide-band aperture coupled microstrip array antenna using inverted feeding structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 2, 861-862, 2005.
8. Xie, J. J., Y. Z. Yin, J. Ren, and T. Wang, "A wideband dual-polarized patch antenna with electric probe and magnetic loop feeds," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, No. 20, 499-515, 2012.
9. Tang, C. L., J. Y. Chiou, and K. L. Wong, "Broadband dual-frequency V-shape patch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letter, Vol. 25, No. 4, 121-123, 2000.
10. Dong, F. B., W. B. Lin, X. H. Guo, and G. G Wang, "A wide bandwidth folded V-shaped patch antenna with high gain and low cross polarization characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 62, 51-59, 2016.