The block diagram of a TR (Transmit Receive) module that consists of four channels using a silicon substrate is presented in this paper. The silicon substrate fabricated by microelectronic process has been adopted to increase the interconnect density of module. Several broadband vertical transitions are simulated and optimized by EM simulator. The vertical transition works well from DC to 40 GHz. The insertion loss is less than 1 dB, and the return loss is better than -15 dB in back-to-back configuration. A novel TR module based on the silicon substrate is proposed for its miniaturization and high integration advantages. The module occupies a compact area of 30 mm×20 mm×1.8 mm, and the weight is 1.77 g.
2. Mi, X., O. Toyoda, and S. Ueda, A 3D heterogeneous integration method using LTCC wafer for RF applications, 2011 IEEE International 3D Systems Integration Conference (3DIC), 1-5, 2012.
3. Lim, K., S. Pinel, M. Davis, and A. Sutono, "RF-system-on-package (SOP) for wireless communications," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 3, 88-99, 2002.
4. Tummala, R. R. and J. Laskar, "Gigabit wireless: System-on-a-package technology," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 92, 376-387, 2004.
5. Juntunen, E., W. Khan, and C. Patterson, An LCP packaged high-power, high-e±ciency CMOS millimeter-wave oscillator, 2011 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 1-4, 2011.
6. Tripodi, L., X. Hu, and R. Gotzen, "Broadband CMOS millimeter-wave frequency multiplier with vivaldi antenna in 3-D chip-scale packaging," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, 3761-3768, 2012.
7. Titz, D., R. Pilard, F. Ferrero, and F. Gianesello, 60 GHz antenna integrated on High Resistivity silicon technologies targeting WHDMI applications, 2011 IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium, 1-5, 2011.
8. Jin, C., V. N. Sekhar, and X. Bao, "Antenna-in-package design based on wafer-level packaging with through silicon via technology," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 3, 1498-1505, 2013.
9. Zhang, R., J. C. C. Lo, and S. W. R. Lee, "Design and fabrication of a silicon interposer with TSVs in cavities for three-dimensional IC packaging," IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, Vol. 12, 189-193, 2012.
10. Li, R., C. Jin, and S. C. Ong, "Embedded wafer level packaging for 77-GHz automotive radar front-end with through silicon via and its 3-D integration," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 3, 1481-1488, 2013.