In this paper, we propose a direction-of-arrival (DOA) estimation algorithm under unknown mutual coupling with a sparselinear array (SLA). We employ an SLA composed of two uniform linear arrays (ULA), and the element spacing of one of the subarrays is large enough to neglect the effect of the mutual coupling (MC). The forth-order-cumulants (FOCs) of the received data from partial elements of the first subarray and all elements of the second subarrayare exploitedto construct an extended FOC matrix. Then, the DOAs of incident signals are estimated by dealing with the FOC matrix. The array aperture is extended greatly due to the sparsestructure. Hence, the proposed method shows much better performance than some classical blind DOA estimation methods in accuracy and resolution. We also proposed some simulation results to prove the effectiveness of our method.
2. Donelli, P. Febvre, "An inexpensive reconfigurable planar array for Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 28, 71-81, 2012.
3. Albagory, Y. A., "Performance of 2-d DOA estimation for stratospheric platforms communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 36, 109-116, 2014.
4. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 3, 276-280, 1986.
5. Wen, F., Q. Wan, R. Fan, and H. Wei, "Improved music algorithm for multiple noncoherent subarrays," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 21, No. 5, 527-530, 2014.
6. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "Esprit-estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics Speech & Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, 1989.
7. Yin, J. and T. Chen, "Direction-of-arrival estimation using a sparse representation of array covariance vectors," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, No. 9, 4489-4493, 2011.
8. Yang, Z., L. Xie, and C. Zhang, "Off-grid direction of arrival estimation using sparse Bayesian inference," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 61, No. 1, 38-43, 2013.
9. Massa, A., M. Donelli, F. Viani, and P. Rocca, "An innovative multiresolution approach for DOA estimation based on a support vector classification," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2279-2292, 2009.
10. Friedlander, B. and A. J. Weiss, "Direction finding in the presence of mutual coupling," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 3, 273-284, 1991.
11. Bao, Q., C. C. Ko, and W. Zhi, "DOA estimation under unknown mutual coupling and multipath," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace & Electronic Systems, Vol. 41, No. 2, 565-573, 2005.
12. Cao, S., D. Xu, X. Xu, and Z. Ye, "DOA estimation for noncircular signals in the presence of mutual coupling," Signal Processing, Vol. 105, No. 12, 12-16, 2014.
13. Wang, B. H., Y. L. Wang, H. Chen, and X. Chen, "Robust DOA estimation with uniform linear array under mutual coupling and selfcorrection of mutual coupling," Science China Ser. E Technological Science, Vol. 34, No. 2, 229-240, 2004.
14. Li, H. B., Y. D. Guo, J. Gong, and J. Jiang, "Mutual coupling self-calibration algorithm for uniform linear array based on ESPRIT," IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics, Communications and Networks, 3323-3326, 2012.
15. Ye, Z. and C. Liu, "On the resiliency of music direction finding against antenna sensor coupling," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 2, 371-380, 2009.
16. Liang, J., X. Zeng, W. Wang, and H. Chen, "L-shaped array-based elevation and azimuth direction finding in the presence of mutual coupling," Signal Processing, Vol. 91, No. 5, 1319-1328, 2011.
17. Mao, W. P., G. L. Li, X. Xie, and Q. Z. Yu, "DOA estimation of coherent signals based on direct data domain under unknown mutual coupling," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., No. 13, 1523-1528, 2014.
18. Liu, C., Z. Ye, and Y. Zhang, "DOA estimation based on fourth-order cumulants with unknown mutual coupling," Signal Processing, Vol. 89, No. 9, 1839-1843, 2009.
19. Liu, C. L. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "Super nested arrays: Linear sparse arrays with reduced mutual coupling --- Part I: Fundamentals," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 64, No. 15, 3997-4012, 2016.
20. Liu, C. L. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "Super nested arrays: Linear sparse arrays with reduced mutual coupling --- Part II: High-order extensions," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 64, No. 16, 4203-4217, 2016.
21. Pal, P. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "Nested arrays: A novel approach to array processing with enhanced degrees of freedom," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 8, 4167-4181, 2010.
22. Liu, S., L. S. Yang, D. Li, and H. L. Cao, "Subspace extension algorithm for 2D DOA estimation with L-shaped sparse array," Multidimensional Systems & Signal Processing, Vol. 28, No. 1, 315-327, 2017.
23. Li, J. F., D. F. Jiang, and M. W. Shen, "Joint two-dimensional direction of arrival estimation based on cross covariance matrix of parallel nested array," Journal of Electronics & Information Technology, Vol. 39, No. 3, 670-676, 2017.