This letter presents miniaturized Gysel power dividers using lumped-element components. The characteristic impedances of all the equivalent transmission lines in these dividers are fixed to the same values based on even and odd mode analysis, thus simplifying the design procedure and miniaturizing the Gysel power dividers. The ideal divider designed at a frequency of 590 MHz exhibits power splits of -3.2±0.2 dB and return losses of greater than 15 dB for the frequency range of 460 to 650 MHz. Furthermore, isolation between output ports is greater than 15 dB for the frequency range of 500 to 680 MHz. The fabricated miniaturized Gysel power divider achieves broadband characteristics and is very compact, occupying only about 15% of the area of a conventional Gysel power divider.
2. Gysel, U. H., "A new N-way power divider/combiner suitable for high-power application," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 116-118, May 1975.
3. Ahn, H. R. and B. Kim, "Small wideband coupled-line ring hybrids with no restriction on coupling power," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1806-1817, Jul. 2009.
4. Ren, X., K. Song, F. Zhang, and B. Hu, "Miniaturized Gysel power divider based on composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 1, 22-24, Jan. 2015.
5. Tang, B., H. Hayashi, and R. Ueda, "Reduced-size gysel power dividers using lumped-element components," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 10, 2341-2344, Oct. 2016.
6. Hayashi, H., T. Nakagawa, and K. Araki, "Power distributing/combining circuit," Japanese Patent Application Publication No. 2002-064353, 2002.
7. Hayashi, H. and M. Kawashima, "Miniaturized lumped-element power dividers with a filtering function," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E91-C, No. 11, 1798-1805, Nov. 2008.
8. Hirota, T., A. Minakawa, and M. Muraguchi, "Reduced-size branch-line and rat-race hybrids for uniplanar MMIC’s," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 38, No. 3, 270-275, Mar. 1990.
9. Ahn, H.-R., I.-S. Chang, and S.-W. Yun, "Miniaturized 3-dB ring hybrid terminated by arbitrary impedances," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 42, 2216-2221, Dec. 1994.
10. Li, P. W. and K. K. M. Cheng, "A new unequal power-divider design with enhanced insertion loss flatness," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 12, 786-788, Dec. 2009.
11. Zhang, H. and Q. Xue, "A novel Gysel power divider with arbitrary power ratio for high-power application," Proc. IWS 2013, 1-4, Beijing, 2013.
12. Hayati, M., S. A. Malakooti, and A. Abdipour, "A novel design of triple-band Gysel power divider," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 61, No. 10, 3558-3567, Oct. 2013.
13. Oh, S. W., Y.Ma, M. H. Tao, and E. C. Y. Peh, "An overview and comparison of TVWhite Space regulations worldwide," Proc. ICFCNA 2014, 1-6, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2014.
14. Hayashi, H., "Tandem Lange 3-dB 90º hybrid implemented on FR4 substrate," Proc. 2014 NORCHIP, 1-3, Tampere, Finland, 2014.
15. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, and S. Li, "A modified Gysel power divider of arbitrary powerratio and real terminated impedances," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 11, 601-603, Nov. 2011.
16. Oraizi, H. and A. Sharifi, "Optimum design of a wideband two-way gysel power divider with input-output impedance matching," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2238-2248, Sep. 2009.