In this work, we study a multichannel filter by using one-dimensional photonic crystal (1DPC) based on Thue-Morse sequence (TMS). We use a dielectric defect layer between binary sequence cells with a TMS structure. First, we show transmission in terms of wavelength for the structure without defect layers. Then, we plot transmission in terms of wavelength for a different number of defect layer periods (N) in normal incidence. The analysis shows that there are two photonic bang gaps (PBG) in visible and infrared regions and two defect modes in each one for N = 1. Moreover, the number of defect modes is increased by increasing N. So, by tuning them, this structure can be used as a multi-channel filter within an optical wavelength range.
2. Skorobogatiy, M. and J. Yang, Fundamentals of Photonic Crystal Guiding, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
3. Sakoda, K., Optical Properties of Photonic Crystals, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2001.
4. Xu, B., G. Zheng, and Y. Wu, "Narrow band and angle insensitive filter based on one dimensional photonic crystal containing graded index defect," Mod. Phys. Lett. B, Vol. 29, 128-136, 2015.
5. Wu, C. J., Y. J. Lee, T. C. King, and W. K. Kuo, "A multichannel filter based on the finite plasma photonic crystal," Key Engineering Materials, Vol. 538, 297-300, 2013.
6. Chang, T. W. and C. J. W, "Analysis in a photonic crystal multichannel filter containing coupled defects," Optik, Vol. 124, 2028-2032, 2013.
7. Khodadadi, R., "Adjustable filters for optical communications systems based on one-dimensional photonic crystal structures," International Journal of Engineering Research and Application (IJERA), Vol. 2, 272-276, 2012.
8. He, J., P. Liu, Y. He, and Z. Hong, "Narrow bandpass tunable terahertz filter based on photonic crystal cavity," Optical Society of America, Vol. 51, 776-779, 2012.
9. Han, P. and H. Z.Wang, "Extension of omnidirectional reflection range in one-dimensional photonic crystals with staggered structure," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 20, 1996-2001, 2003.
10. Usievich, B. A., A. M. Prokhorov, and V. A. Sychugov, "A photonic-crystal narrow-band optical filter," Laser Physics, Vol. 12, 898-902, 2002.
11. Awasthi, S. K. and S. P. Ojha, "Design of a tunable optical filter by using a one dimensional ternary photonic ban gap material," Progress In Electromanetics Research M, Vol. 4, 117-132, 2008.
12. Gharaati, A. and H. Azarshab, "Characterization of defect modes in one-dimensional ternary metallo-dielectric nanolayered photonic crystal," Progress In Electromanetics Research B, Vol. 37, 125-141, 2012.
13. Gharaati, A. and H. Azarshab, "Characterization of defect modes in one dimensional binary metallo-dielectric nanolayered photonic crystal," International Journal of Physics, Vol. 4, 149-162, 2011.
14. Srivastava, R., K. B. Thapa, S. Pati, and S. P. Ojha, "Omni-direction reflection in one dimensional photonic crystal," Progress In Electromanetics Research B, Vol. 7, 133-143, 2008.
15. Azarshab, H. and A. Gharaati, "Analysis of tuning channel filter based on ternary lossy defective metallo-dielectric nano photonic crystal," Progress In Electromanetics Research Letters, Vol. 68, 113-119, 2017.
16. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, Wiley, New York, 2005.
17. Tang, K., Y. Xiang, and S.Wen, "Tunable transmission and defect mode in one-dimensional ternary left-handed photonic crystal," Proc. of SPIE, 60200S.1-60200S, 2005.
18. Skorobogatiy, M. and J. Yang, Fundamentals of Photonic Crystal Guiding, 132, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
19. Fan, S., P. R. Villeneuve, and J. D. Joannopoulos, "Large omnidirectional band gaps in metallodielectric photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 54, 11245-11252, 1994.
20. Markos, P. and C. M. Soukoulis, "Wave propagation: From electrons to photonic crystals and left handed materials,", Princeton University Press, New Jersey, 2008.
21. Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, 3rd Ed., 311, California University, 1999.
22. Wu, C. J., Y. H. Chung, and B. J. Syu, "Band gap extension in a one-dimensional ternary metal-dielectric photonic crystal," Progress In Electromanetics Research, Vol. 102, 81-93, 2010.
23. Loschialpo, M. J. P. and J. Schelleng, "Photonic band gap structure and transmissivity of frequency-dependant metallic-dielectric systems," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 88, 5785-5790, 2000.
24. Topasna, D. M. and G. A. Topasna, "Numerical modeling of thin film optical filters," Education and Training in Optics and Photonics (ETOP), 230-239, July 5, 2009.
25. Malaviya, S. K. U. and S. P. Ojha, "Enhancement of omnidirectional total-reflection wavelength ranges by using one-dimensional ternary photonic bandgap material," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B: Optical Physics, Vol. 23, 2566-2571, 2006.
26. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, Cambridge, London, 1999.
27. Saleh, B. E. A. and M. C. Teich, Fundamentals of Photonics, Wiley, New York, 2007.