This paper proposes a 77GHz microstrip series-fed patch antenna arrays for automotive radar applications. Based on the Taylor Distribution Principle, we designed a six-units series-fed weighted antenna array. A Wilkinson 1∶8 un-equal divider is employed to connect eight antenna arrays to form a whole planar antenna. In antenna far-field patterns, the E-plane side-lobe level is approximately below -20.15 dB, and the H-plane side-lobe level is about -15 dB. Good accordance is obtained between simulated and measured results. The designed antenna has great value in the application fields of 77 GHz automotive radar antenna.
2. Andersen, J. B. and B. N. Getu, "The MIMO cube — A compact MIMO antenna," The 5th Int. Symp. Wireless Personal Multimedia Commun., 112-114, 2002.
3. Nemeth, A., L. Szucs, and L. Nagy, "MIMO cube formed of slot dipoles," 16th IST Mobile Wireless Commun. Summit, 1-5, 2007.
4. Sarrazin, J., Y. Mahe, S. Avrillon, and S. Toutain, "Investigation on cavity/slot antennas for diversity and MIMO systems: The example of a three-port antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 414-417, 2008.
5. Jones, D., Navy Electricity and Electronics Training Series, 1998.
6. Fujita, K. and H. Shirai, "Theoretical limitation of the radiation efficiency for homogenous electrically small antennas," IEICE Transactions on Electronics, Vol. 98, No. 1, 2-7, 2015.
7. Shahpari, M. and D. V. Thiel, "Physical bounds for antenna radiation efficiency," arXiv preprint arXiv:1609.01761, 2016.
8. Cheng, D. K., Field and Wave Electromagnetics, 1989.
9. Coetzee, J. and J. Joubert, "The design of planar slot arrays revisited," ACES J, Vol. 15, No. 1, 27-33, 2000.
10. Stegen, R. J., Longitudinal shunt slot characteristics, Tech. Rep., Hughes Aircraft Co., 1951.
11. Shahpari, M. and D. V. Thiel, "The impact of reduced conductivity on the performance of wire antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 11, 4686-4692, 2015.
12. Kraus, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antenna for All Applications, New York, 2002.
13. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003.