A compact via-less metamaterial (MTM) wideband bandpass filter using split circular rings, meander-line and rectangular stub is reported in this letter. The split circular rings produce series capacitance and a meander line along with a rectangular stub gives shunt inductance and capacitance. The measured insertion loss has 0.60 dB and return loss above 15 dB with 3 dB fractional bandwidth 74.28% at centre frequency 3.5 GHz. The zeroth order resonance frequency of proposed filter is guarded by shunt parameters due to its open ended boundary condition. The electrical size of the suggested filter is 0.12λgx0.22λg at ZOR frequency of 2.3 GHz. The designed structure has been fabricated and experimentally validated. The designed filter offers group delay variation between 0.2 ns to 0.7 ns within the passband. It is suitable for WLAN, WiMAX, Bluetooth applications.
2. Fan, J., D. Zhan, C. Jin, and J. Luo, "Wideband microstrip bandpass filter based on quadruple mode ring resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, 348-350, 2012.
3. Sun, S. and L. Zhu, "Wideband microstrip ring resonator bandpass filters under multiple resonances," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, 2176-2182, 2007.
4. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2006.
5. Lai, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 5, 34-50, 2004.
6. Choudhary, D. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A compact Coplanar Waveguide (CPW)-fed zerothorder resonant filter for bandpass applications," Frequenz Journal of RF-Engineering and Telecommunications.
7. Bojra, A. L., A. Belenguer, J. Cascon, H. Esteban, and V. E. Boria, "Wideband passband transmission line based on metamaterial-inspired CPW balanced cells," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1421-1424, 2011.
8. Bonache, J., F. Martin, I. Gil, J. G. Garcia, R. Marque, and M. Sorolla, "Microstrip bandpass filters with wide bandwidth and compact dimensions," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 46, 343-346, 2005.
9. Martel, J., J. Bonache, R. Marques, F. Martin, and F. Medina, "Design of wide-band semi-lumped bandpass filters using open split ring resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, 28-30, 2007.
10. Satish, G. N., K. V. Srivastava, A. Biswas, and D. Kettle, "A via-free left handed transmission line with radial stubs," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 2501-2504, 2009.
11. Jiang, X. Y. and M. Palandoken, Metamaterial: Metamaterial-Based Compact Filter Design, Ch. 12, 513–532, Intech, 2012, ISBN: 978-953-51-0591-6.
12. Palandoken, M. and A. Sondas, "Compact metamaterial based band-stop filter," Microwave Journal, Vol. 57, No. 10, 76-84, 2014.
13. Palandoken, M. and M. H. B. Ucar, "Compact metamaterial-inspired band-pass filter," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 12, 2903-2907, 2014.
14. Hashemi, M. R. M. and T. Itoh, "Dual-band composite right/left-handed metamaterial concept," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, 248-250, 2012.
15. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2011.
16. Choudhary, D. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, Vialess wideband bandpass filter using CRLH transmission line with semi-circular stub, International Conference on Microwave and Photonics (ICMAP), 1-2, 2015.
17. Li, C. and F. Li, "Microstrip bandpass filters based on zeroth-order resonators with complementary split ring resonators," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 3, 276-280, 2009.
18. Yechou, L., A. Tribak, M. Kacim, J. Zbitou, and A. M. Sanchez, "A novel wideband bandpass filter using coupled linesand T-shaped transmission lines with wide stopband on low-cost substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 67, 143-152, 2016.
19. Wu, Y. D., G. H. Li, W. Yang, and X. X. Yang, "Design of compact wideband QMSIW band-pass filter with improved stopband," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 65, 75-79, 2017.
20. Xiao, J. K., M. Zhu, Y. Li, and J. G. Ma, "Coplanar waveguide bandpass filters with separate electric and magnetic couplings," Electronics Letter, Vol. 52, 12-124, 2016.
21. Tang, M., T. Shi, and X. Tan, "A novel triple-mode hexagon bandpass filter with meander line and central-loaded stub," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, 9-12, 2016.
22. Feng, W., X. Gao, and W. Che, "Bandpass filters with improved selectivity based on dual-mode ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 56, 1-7, 2015.