A broadband end-fire antenna loaded with magneto-electro-dielectric metamaterial (MED-MTM) is presented in this paper. Based on a planar printed structure, many periodic structures are investigated in antenna design. The metal patch is embedded with a C-shaped complementary split-ring resonator (CSRR) array, and many cross slots are etched on the ground plane. The zeroth-order resonance (ZOR) and first-order resonance (FOR) can be excited. As a result of electromagnetic coupling effect, the C-shaped patch and ground plane compose metamaterial transmission line (MTL). For potential applications, the broadband and end-fire antenna can work with a 53.5% (3.81-6.59 GHz) impedance bandwidth. The proposed antenna achieves size reduction, gain improvement and bandwidth enhancement.
2. Alam, M. S., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "A novel compact split ring slotted electromagnetic bandgap structure for microstrip patch antenna performance enhancement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 389-409, 2012.
3. Xu, P. H. X., G. M. Wang, Q. Liu, J. F. Wang, and J. Q. Gong, "A metamaterial with multi-band left handed characteristic," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 107, No. 2, 261-268, 2012.
4. Li, L. W., Y. N. Li, T. S. Yeo, J. R. Mosig, and O. J. F. Martin, "A broadband and high-gain metamaterial microstrip antenna," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 96, No. 16, 164101, 2010.
5. Cai, T., G. M. Wang, X. F. Zhang, Y. W. Wang, B. F. Zong, and H. X. Xu, "Compact microstrip antenna with enhanced bandwidth by loading magneto-electro-dielectric planar waveguided metamaterials," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 63, No. 5, 2306-2311, 2015.
6. Liu, w., Z. N. Chen, and X. M. Qing, "Metamaterial-based low-profile broadband aperture-coupled grid-slotted patch antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 63, No. 7, 3325-3329, 2015.
7. Mitra, D., A. Sarkhel, O. Kundu, and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "Design of compact and high directive slot antennas using grounded metamaterial slab," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 811-814, 2015.
8. Gupta, A. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A compact dual band short ended metamaterial antenna with extended bandwidth," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 5, 435-441, 2016.
9. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination, of effective permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, No. 19, 195104, 2001.
10. Lai, A., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Infinite wavelength resonant antennas with monopolar radiation pattern based on periodic structures," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 3, 868-876, 2007.
11. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, Q. Liu, J.-F. Wang, and J.-Q. Gong, "A metamaterial with multi-band left handed characteristic," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 107, No. 2, 261-268, 2012.
12. Matsunaga, N., A. Sanada, and H. Kubo, "Novel two dimensional planar negative refractive index structure," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. 89-C, No. 9, 1276-1282, 2006.
13. Liu, W., Z. N. Chen, and X. M. Qing, "Metamaterial-based low-profile broadband mushroom antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 62, No. 3, 1165-1172, 2014.