This article presents the design, simulation and machining of a dual Orthomode Transducer for feeding antenna using waveguide technology. Linear orthogonal polarizations in common port are separated to single linear polarizations in other ports. This device is developed to work in K and Ka bands and could be exploited in satellite communications applications. Also, it is designed to provide good scattering parameters results experienced with simulation tools and real load laboratory measurement. The designed circuit exhibits important results with return losses less than 25 dB, insertion losses in theory of about 0.05 dB as well as a good isolation of 40 dB in both frequency bands of interest (19.4 GHz-21.8 GHz) and (27 GHz-32 GHz).
2. Narayanan, G., N. R. Erickson, and R. M. Grosslein, Low cost direct machining of terahertz waveguide structures, Tenth International Symposium on Space Terahertz Technology, 518-528, Mar. 1999.
3. Walker, C. K., G. Narayanan, A. Hungerford, T. Bloomstein, S. Palmacci, M. Stern, and J. Curtin, Laser micromachining of silicon: A new technique for fabricating terahertz imaging arrays, Astronomical Telescopes and Instrumentation, SPIE Symposium, Kona, Hawaii, 1998.
4. Boifot, A. M., E. Lier, and T. Schaug-Pettersen, Simple and broadband orthomode transducer, Proc. IEE, Vol. 137, No. 6, 396-400, 1990.
5. Boifot, A. M., "Classification of orthomode transducers," European Transactions on Telecommunication and Related Technologies, Vol. 2, No. 5, 503-510, 1991.
6. Tribak, A., J. Cano, A. Mediavilla, and M. Boussouis, "Octave bandwidth compact turnstile-based orthomode transducer," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 10, 539-541, 2010.
7. Tao, Y., Z. Shen, and G. Liu, "Dual-band ortho-mode transducer with irregularly shaped diaphragm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 27, 1-8, 2011.
8. Rebollar, J. M., J. Esteban, and J. De Frutos, A dual frequency OMT in the Ku band for TT&C applications, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1998, Vol. 4, 2258-2261, 1998.
9. Peverini, O. A., R. Tascone, M. Baralis, G. Virone, D. Trinchero, and R. Orta, "Reduced-order optimized mode-matching CAD of microwave waveguide components," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 1, 311-318, Jan. 2004.