In this paper, we propose a novel compact switchable monopole CPW-fed antenna which has the ability to be used for narrowband as well as UWB applications. A single element antenna to be used for wireless local area network (WLAN) applications is first proposed in this article having overall dimensions of 24×30.5 mm2. The corresponding antenna has been transformed to UWB frequency range just by utilizing two variable capacitors within the designed structure. The proposed small size, variable, low cost as well as low weight antenna with good propagation characteristics performs well in the WLAN as well as in the UWB frequency band. The proposed antennais simulated using Ansoft HFSS, and results are validated in CST Microwave Studio suite. The proposed antenna has also been fabricated, and the measured response is correlated with the simulated ones.
2. Yang, S., C. Zhang, H. K. Pan, A. E. Fathy, and V. K. Nair, "Frequency-reconfigurable antennas for multiradio wireless platforms," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 10, No. 1, 66-83, 2009.
3. ANON, "FCC first report and order on ultra-wideband technology," FCC 802 Standards Notes, February 2002.
4. Erfani, E., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, M. Niroo-Jazi, and T. A. Denidni, "Design and implementation of an integrated UWB/reconfigurable-slot antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 77-80, 2012.
5. Young, J., "A brief history of GPR fundamentals and applications," Proc. Sixth Int. Conf. Ground Penetrating Radar, 5-14, 1996.
6. Ebrahimi, E., J. R. Kelly, and P. Hall, "Integrated wide-narrowband antenna for multi-standard radio," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 7, 2628-2635, July 2011.
7. Tawk, Y., J. Costantine, K. Avery, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Implementation of a cognitive radio front-end using rotatable controlled reconfigurable antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1773-1778, May 2011.
8. Zamudio, M., Y. Tawk, J. Kim, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Integrated cognitive radio antenna using reconfigurable band pass filters," Proc. 5th Eur. Conf. Antennas Propag., 2108-2112, 2011.
9. Hamid, M. R., P. Gardner, P. S. Hall, and F. Ghanem, "Vivaldi antenna with integrated switchable band pass resonator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 11, 4008-4015, November 2011.
10. Kelly, J. R., P. S. Hall, and P. Song, "A reconfigurable wideband handset antenna operating from 460MHz to 12GHz," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 1-4, 2009.
11. Deng, J. Y., S. Hou, L. Zhao, and L. X. Guo, "Wideband-to-narrowband tunable monopole antenna with integrated bandpass filters for UWB/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2734-2737, 2017.
12. Deng, J., S. Hou, L. Zhao, and L. Guo, "A reconfigurable filtering antenna with integrated bandpass filters for UWB/WLAN applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 1, 401-404, 2018.