A printed dual-port coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed antenna is proposed for wideband communication systems. The antenna includes two identical hybrid trapezoidal-elliptical radiating elements that are printed perpendicular to each other. Also, two orthogonal CPW lines are used to feed the antenna. In order to achieve broadband dual-polarized operation with a compact size, the geometrical parameters of the antenna are optimized by using Ansoft HFSS. The antenna was fabricated and tested. Reasonable agreement between the simulation and experimental results is obtained. The fabricated prototype with a small size of 25×53 mm2 can cover the wide operating frequency band from 2.4 to 18 GHz (reflection coefficient less than -10 dB) for both ports. The measured isolation is better than 25 dB over the entire operating bandwidth. Moreover, the measured results show that the proposed antenna can provide omnidirectional radiation patterns with a good orthogonal polarization operation, reasonable gain, high radiation efficiency, and constant group delay.
2. Zhang, S., K. Zhao, B. Zhu, Z. Ying, and S. He, "MIMO reference antennas with controllable correlations and total efficiencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 115-121, 2014.
3. Sonkki, M., E. Antonino-Daviu, M. Ferrando-Bataller, and E. T. Salonen, "Planar wideband polarization diversity antenna for mobile terminals," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 939-942, 2011.
4. Min, K.-S., M.-S. Kim, C.-K. Park, and M. D. Vu, "Design for PCS antenna based on WIBROMIMO," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 77-83, 2008.
5. Yu, X. H., L.Wang, H.-G. Wang, X.Wu, and Y.-H. Shang, "A novel multiport matching method for maximum capacity of an indoor MIMO system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 67-84, 2012.
6. Sharawi, M. S., A. B. Numan, and D. N. Aloi, "Isolation improvement in a dual-band dual-element MIMO antenna system using capacitively loaded loops," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 247-266, 2013.
7. Kyritsi, P., D. C. Cox, R. A. Valenzuela, and P. W. Wolniansky, "Effect of antenna polarization on the capacity of a multiple element system in an indoor environment," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. 20, 1227-1239, 2002.
8. Svantesson, T., M. A. Jensen, and J. W. Wallace, "Analysis of electromagnetic field polarizations on multiantenna systems," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 3, 641-646, 2004.
9. Dong, L., H. Choo, R. W. Heath, Jr., and H. Ling, "Simulation of MIMO channel capacity with antenna polarization diversity," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 4, 1869-1873, 2005.
10. Li, W., W. Lin, and G. Yang, "A compact MIMO antenna system design with low correlation from 1710 MHz to 2690 MHz," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 59-65, 2014.
11. Mallahzadeh, A. R., S. Es’haghi, and A. Alipour, "Design of an E-shaped MIMO antenna using IWO algorithm for wireless application at 5.8 GHz," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 187-203, 2009.
12. Krairiksh, M., P. Keowsawat, C. Phongcharoenpanich, and S. Kosulvit, "Two-probe excited circular ring antenna for MIMO application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 417-431, 2009.
13. Chou, H.-T., H.-C. Cheng, H.-T. Hsu, and L.-R. Kuo, "Investigation of isolation improvement techniques for multiple input multiple output (MIMO) WLAN portable terminal applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 349-366, 2008.
14. Li, Y., W. X. Li, Ch. Liu, and T. Jiang, A printed diversity Cantor set fractal antenna for ultra wideband communication applications, 10th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory (ISAPE), 34-38, Xian, China, 2012.
15. Abbasi, Q. H., M. M. Khan, S. Liaqat, M. Kamran, A. Alomainy, and Y. Hao, "Experimental investigation of ultra wideband diversity techniques for on-body radio communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 34, 165-181, 2013.
16. Xiong, L. and P. Gao, Compact dual-polarized slot UWB antenna with CPW-fed structure, Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, Chicago, IL, USA, July 2012.
17. Gallo, M., E. Antonino-Daviu, M. Ferrando-Bataller, M. Bozzetti, J. M. Molina-Garcia-Pardo, and L. Juan-Llacer, "A broadband pattern diversity annular slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1596-1600, 2012.
18. Yoon, H. K., Y. J. Yoon, H. Kim, and C. H. Lee, "Flexible ultra-wideband polarization diversity antenna with band-notch function," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 12, 1463-1470, 2011.
19. Chacko, B. P., G. Augustin, and T. A. Denidni, "Uniplanar polarization diversity antenna for ultrawideband systems," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 7, No. 10, 851-857, 2013.
20. Koohestani, M., A. A. Moreira, and A. K. Skrivervik, "A novel compact CPW-fed polarization diversity ultrawideband antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 563-566, 2014.
21. Dastranj, A., "Low-profile ultra-wideband polarisation diversity antenna with high isolation," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 10, 1363-1368, 2017.
22. Dastranj, A., "Very small planar broadband monopole antenna with hybrid trapezoidal-elliptical radiator," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 4, 542-547, 2017.