A novel microstrip balun bandpass filter (BPF) is designed by using open loop resonators having interdigital capacitors. The interdigital capacitors are employed to control the center frequency easily. Opposite phase difference between the balanced outputs can be provided according to the suitable coupling topologies based on parallel and anti-parallel coupled lines. By this way, minimized magnitude imbalances between the balanced ports can also be obtained. In order to obtain two poles inside the passband, two identical resonators are coupled to each other. The designed balun BPF was fabricated and measured to validate the proposed methodology. Phase and magnitude imbalances inside the passband were measured within 180±5˚ and 0.5 dB, respectively. The simulated and measured results are in good agreement.
2. Jung, E. Y. and H. Y. Hwang, "A balun-BPF using a dual mode ring resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 9, 652-654, Sep. 2007.
3. Sun, S. and W. Menzel, "Novel dual-mode balun bandpass filters using single cross-slotted patch resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 8, 415-417, Aug. 2011.
4. Gorur, A., "Description of coupling between degenerate modes of a dual-mode microstrip loop resonator using a novel perturbation arrangement and its dual-mode bandpass filter applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 2, 671-677, Feb. 2004.
5. Huang, F., J. Wang, and L. Zhu, "A new approach to design a microstrip dual-mode balun bandpass filter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, No. 4, 252-254, Apr. 2016.
6. Kang, W., H. Wang, C. Miao, C. Tan, and W. Wu, "A high performance balun bandpass filter with very simple structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 31, 169-176, 2012.
7. Chen, C. M., S. J. Chang, S. M. Wu, Y. T. Hsieh, and C. F. Yang, "Investigation of compact balun-bandpass filter using folded open-loop ring resonators and microstrip lines," Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 2014, 1-6, Article ID 679538, 2014.
8. Xu, J. X., X. Y. Zhang, and X. L. Zhao, "Compact LTCC balun with bandpass response based on Marchand balun," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, No. 7, 493-495, Jul. 2016.
9. Tsai, C. L. and Y. S. Lin, "Analysis and design of new single-to-balanced multicoupled line bandpass filters using low-temperature co-fired ceramic technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 12, 2902-2912, Dec. 2008.
10. Wu, L.-S., Y.-X. Guo, J.-F. Mao, and W.-Y. Yin, "Design of a substrate integrated waveguide balun filter based on three-port coupled resonator circuit model," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 5, 252-254, May 2011.
11. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001.
12. Sonnet User’s Manual, Version 16, Sonnet Software, North Syracuse, NY, 2016.