The main objective of this article is to design, realize and measure the performance of a reconfigurable antenna for wireless applications. The designed antenna will be able to switch among several modes, from the ultra-wideband mode (UWB mode) to narrow band mode (NB mode) and then dual-band mode (Bi-bands mode) and vice versa in order to combine the maximum functionality. By incorporating two resonators into the octagonal antenna, the initial antenna can be covered by one wideband (UWB mode), one narrow sub-band (NB mode), or two narrow sub-bands (Bi-bands mode). The ultra-wideband mode is obtained by deactivating the two resonators (so the antenna operates as a classical octagonal antenna), while the one narrow band mode is obtained by activating just one resonator. In the bi-bands mode, the two resonators are activated at a time to be used as a coupling-bridge to very narrow frequency bands. To present the work, simulated and measured results are given and discussed.
2. Choi, S. H., J. K. Park, S. K. Kim, and J. Y. Park, "A new ultra-wideband antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, No. 5, 399, 2004.
3. Chen, D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
4. Kimouchee, H., M. Bitchikh, and B. Atrouz, "Novel design of a fractal monopole antenna for wireless communications," 14th Conference on Microwave Techniques, Prague, 2008.
5. Shynu Nair, S. V. and M. J. Ammann, "Reconfigurable antenna with elevation and azimuth beam switching," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 367-370, 2010.
6. Janne Ilvonen, Risto Valkonen, et al., "Multiband frequency reconfigurable 4G handset antenna with MIMO capability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 233-243, 2014.
7. Bemani, M. and S. Nikmehr, "A novel reconfigurable multiband slot antenna fed by a coplanar waveguide using radio frequency microelectro-mechanical system switches," IEEE Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, 751-757, 2011.
8. Wang, Y., "An integrated narrowband-wideband antenna," Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, Loughborough, UK, 11–12 November 2013.
9. Bitchikh, M. and F. Ghanem, "An UWB to three sub-bands frequency reconfigurable antipodal vivaldi antenna," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Antennas Propagation, 670-671, Orlando, Floride, Etats-Unis, USA, 2013.
10. Madi, M. A., M. Al-Husseini, A. H. Ramadan, K. Y. Kabalan, and A. El-Hajj, "A reconfigurable cedar-shaped microstrip antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 25, 209-221, 2012.
11. Laheurte, J. M., "Switchable CPW-fed slot antenna for multifrequency operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 37, No. 25, 1498-1500, December 2001.
12. Iqbal, A., S. Ullah, U. Naeem, A. Basir, and U. Ali, "Design, fabrication and measurement of a compact, frequency reconfigurable, modified T-shape planar antenna for portable applications," J. Electr. Eng. Technol., Vol. 12, No. 4, 1611-1618, 2017.
13. Bithikh, M., R. Aksas, H. Kimouche, and A. Azrar, "New UWB antenna design for wireless communications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, 692-697, 2012.