A new C-band monopole antenna is proposed for use in a CAPS-based vehicle monitoring system. This monopole antenna has highly omnidirectional main beam with low elevation angle and sufficient half-power beamwidth by using a cone-shaped ground plane. The impedance bandwidth defined by 10 dB return loss is 650 MHz (5.50-6.15 GHz), and the main beam elevation angle and the half-power beamwidth are about 20° and 40° at the operating frequency 5.885 GHz, respectively. The manufactured prototype has survived a long-distance terrestrial test across China, and the design requirements for the satellite link budget, volume, cost, etc. have been reached.
2. Cui, J. X., "Situation and develop trend of satellite navigation and communications integration," The 3rd China Satellite Navigation Conference. (CSNC), 77-80, 2012.
3. Zhengqun, H., P. Jun, and L. Chang, "A software design of central processing in integrated system of satellite navigation and communication," 2016 3rd International Conference on Information Science and Control Engineering. (ICISCE), 1249-1252, 2016.
4. Morishita, H., S. Takahashi, and T. Kamei, "Conical beam control of quadri¯lar helical antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 20, 1899-1901, October 1998.
5. Morishita, H., S. Takahashi, and T. Kamei, "Conical radiation pattern characteristics of a quadrifilar helical antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 1954-1957, July 1996.
6. Wu, B. Q. and K. M. Luk, "A wideband, low-pro¯le, conical-beam antenna with horizontal polarization for indoor wireless communications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 634-636, 2009.
7. Nakano, H., K. Fujimori, and J. Yamauchi, "A low-pro¯le conical beam loop antenna with an electromagnetically coupled feed system," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 12, 1864-1866, December 2000.
8. Go, H. C. and Y. W. Jang, "Multi-band modi¯ed fork-shaped microstrip monopole antenna with ground plane including dual-triangle portion," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 10, 575-577, May 2004.
9. Chawanonphithak, Y. and C. Phongcharoenpanich, "Miniaturized dual-band II-shaped monopole antennas with modified rectangular ground plane," 11th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (EC, 1-4, 2014.
10. Shah, S. A. A., M. F. Khan, S. Ullah, and J. A. Flint, "Design of a multi-band frequency recon¯gurable planar monopole antenna using truncated ground plane for Wi-Fi, WLAN and WiMAX applications," International Conference on Open Source Systems & Technologies, 151-155, 2014.
11. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A compact multiband monopole antenna with a defected ground plane," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 652-655, 2008.
12. Elsheakh, D. N., H. A. Elsadek, E. A. Abdallah, H. Elhenawy, and M. F. Iskander, "Enhancement of microstrip monopole antenna bandwidth by using EBG structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 959-962, 2009.
13. Gemio, J., J. Parron Granados, and J. Soler Castany, "Dual-band antenna with fractal-based ground plane for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 748-751, 2009.
14. Hong, T., S. X. Gong, Y. Liu, and W. Jiang, "Monopole antenna with quasi-fractal slotted ground plane for dual-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 595-598, 2010.
15. Aghdam, S. A. and S. M. H. Varkiani, "Small monopole antenna with semicircular ground plane for UWB applications with variable band-notch structure," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 1, 12-14, 2013.
16. Pang, F., G. Ai, J. Yin, Y. Ma, C. Hu, J. Cui, L. Ma, C. H. See, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "Conical beam monopole antenna design for chinese area positioning system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 68, 193-200, 2016.