A compact size (20×21 mm2) planar tri-band electrically small antenna is presented for Wireless ISM, RFID application resonating at 1.57 GHz, 2.47 GHz and 926 MHz. The Proposed structure consists of a dual-slot radiating patch and two split ring structures made using combination of L and U shapes forming a defected ground structure (DGS). Length and width of the planar slot is optimized to get the required frequency bands whereas incorporation of DGS leads to increase in impedance bandwidth. The simulated and measured return losses (S11) of all three frequency bands are greater than 10 dB. Impedance bandwidths of 20 MHz (913-934 MHz), 90 MHz (1.5-1.59 GHz) and 70 MHz (2.43-2.50 GHz) are achieved for the proposed range. The electrically small antenna radiation pattern is omnidirectional, and gains of 0.32 dBi, 1.2 dBi and 1.5 dBi are achieved which makes the antenna suitable for RFID, GPS and WLAN applications.
2. Patel, R. and T. Upadhyaya, "An electrically small antenna for nearfield biomedical applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 3, 556-561, 2018.
3. Kornev, V. K., et al., "Active electrically small antenna based on superconducting quantum array," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 23, No. 3, 1800405-1800405, 2013.
4. Bhad, M. C., V. G. Kasabegoudar, and M. P. Rodge, "Electrically small rectangular patch antenna with slot for MIMO applications," Wireless and Mobile Technologies, Vol. 1, No. 1, 25-28, 2013.
5. Ren, X., X. Chen, and K. Huang, "A novel electrically small meandered line antenna with a tridentshaped feeding strip for wireless applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, 2012.
6. Sum, Y. L., et al., "Scalable 2.45GHz electrically small antenna design for metaresonator array," The Journal of Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2017.
7. Kuhestani, H., M. Rahimi, Z. Mansouri, F. B. Zarrabi, and R. Ahmadian, "Design of compact patch antenna based on metamaterial for WiMAX applications with circular polarization," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 2, 357-360, 2015.
8. El Halaoui, M., et al., "Multiband planar inverted-F antenna with independent operating bands control for mobile handset applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2017, 2017.
9. Heidari, A. A., M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009.
10. Reyes-Vera, E., et al., "Development of an improved response ultra-wideband antenna based on conductive adhesive of carbon composite," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 199-208, 2017.
11. Khanna, R., "A review of various multi-frequency antenna design techniques," Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 10, No. 16, 2017.
12. Mahmoud Ali, M. M., A. A. R. Saad, and E. E. M. Khaled, "A design of miniaturized ultrawideband printed slot antenna with 3.5/5.5GHz dual band-notched characteristics: Analysis and implementation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 52, 37-56, 2013.
13. Zhu, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Broad-bandwidth, electrically small antenna augmented with an internal non-Foster element," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1116-1120, 2012.
14. Heydari, S., P. Jahangiri, A. S. Arezoomand, and F. B. Zarrabi, "Circular polarization fractal slot by Jerusalem cross slot for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 79-84, 2016.
15. Shivapanchakshari, T. G. and H. S. Aravinda, "Review of research techniques to improve system performance of smart antenna," Open Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 2, 83, 2017.
16. Vera, E. R., F. Lopez, D. E. Senior, and D Catano, "Performance analysis of a microstrip patch antenna loaded with an array of metamaterial resonators," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 281-282, 2016.
17. Memarzadeh-Tehran, H., R. Abhari, and M. Niayesh, "A cavity-backed antenna loaded with complimentary split ring resonators," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 7, 928-935, 2016.
18. Zhang, C., J. Zhang, and L. Li, "riple band-notched UWB antenna based on SIR-DGS and fork-shaped stubs," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 2, 67-69, 2014.
19. He, Z., J. Cai, Z. Shao, X. Li, and Y. Huang, "A novel power divider integrated with SIW and DGS technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 289-301, 2013.
20. Singh, A. and S. Singh, "A novel CPW-fed wideband printed monopole antenna with DGS," AEUInternational Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 69, No. 1, 299-306, 2015.
21. Kimouche, H. and S. Oukil, "Electrically small antenna with defected ground structure," 2012 42nd European Microwave Conference, 811-814, Amsterdam, 2012.
22. Chu, L. J., "Physical limitations on omni-directional antennas," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 19, l163-l175, 1948.
23. Patel, R. H., A. Desai, and T. Upadhyaya, "A discussion on electrically small antenna property," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2386-2388, 2015.