Radio wave energy harvesting has become one of the most fascinating fields of research, especially in developing antenna for its front end subsystem. This paper presents the development of a single large aperture antenna for energy harvesting system. Three substrate layers FR4-air-FR4 are employed to increase the antenna gain. Measurement result shows that the proposed antenna is able to obtain gain of about 9.61 dBi at 1.575 GHz (GPS L1 frequency), with low return loss of about -17.12 dB. The achieved bandwidth is about 128 MHz. The antenna characteristic is suitable for energy harvesting application.
2. Mrnka, M., P. Vasina, M. Kufa, V. Hebelka, and Z. Raida, "The RF energy harvesting antennas operating in commercially deployed frequency bands: A comparative study," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2016, Article ID 7379624, 2016.
3. Shrestha, S., S.-K. Noh, and D.-Y. Choi, "Comparative study of antenna designs for RF energy harvesting," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, Article ID 385260, 2016.
4. Din, N. Md., C. K. Chakrabarty, A. Bin Ismail, K. K. A. Devi, and W.-Y. Chen, "Design of RF energy harvesting system for energizing low power devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 49-69, 2012.
5. Sim, Z.W., R. Shuttleworth, M. J. Alexander, and B. D. Grieve, "Compact patch antenna design for outdoor RF energy harvesting in wireless sensor networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 273-294, 2010.
6. Moon, J.-I. and Y.-B. Jung, "Novel energy harvesting antenna design using a parasitic radiator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 545-557, 2013.
7. Shrestha, S., S. R. Lee, and D.-Y. Choi, "A new fractal-based miniaturized dual band patch antenna for RF energy harvesting," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, Article ID 805052, 2014.
8. Bakkali, A., J. Pelegri-Sebastia, T. Sogorb, V. Llario, and A. Bou-Escriva, "A dual-band antenna for RF energy harvesting systems in wireless sensor networks," Journal of Sensors, Vol. 2016, Article ID 5725836, 2016.
9. Hoang, M. H., H. P. Phan, T. Q. V. Hoang, and T.-P. Vuong, "Efficient compact dual-band antennas for GSM and Wi-Fi energy harvesting," Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Advanced Technologies for Communications (ATC’14), 401-404, Hanoi, Vietnam, October 2014.
10. Kim, P., G. Chaudhary, and Y. Jeong, "A dual-band RF energy harvesting using frequency limited dual-band impedance matching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 443-461, 2013.
11. Leclerc, C., M. Egels, and E. Bergeret, "Design and measurement of multi-frequency antennas for RF energy harvesting tags," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 156, 47-53, 2016.
12. Mavaddat, A., S. H. M. Armaki, and A. R. Erfanian, "Millimeter-wave energy harvesting using 4 × 4 microstrip patch antenna array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 515-518, 2015.
13. Antar, Y. M. M., A. Zavvari, M. T. Islam, R. Anwar, A. M. Hasbi, M. F. Asillam, and C. Monstein, "Callisto radio spectrometer construction at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia [antennas and propagation around the world]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 2, 278-288, April 2014.
14. Sabri, S. N. U., N. H. Zainol, M. O. Ali, N. N. M. Shariff, N. H. Hussien, M. S. Faid, Z. S. Hamidi, and C. Monstein, "The dependence of log periodic dipole antenna (LPDA) and e-CALLISTO software to determine the type of solar radio burst (I -V)," 2016 International Conference on Industrial Engineering, Management Science and Application (ICIMSA), 1-5, Jeju, 2016.
15. Ozenc, K., M. E. Aydemir, and A. Oncu, "Design of a 1.26 GHz high gain microstrip patch antenna using double layer with airgap for satellite reconnaissance," 2013 6th International Conference on Recent Advances in Space Technologies (RAST), 499-504, Istanbul, 2013.
16. Bhatoa, R., Roopan, and E. Sidhu, "Novel high gain air gap directive antenna for X-band satellite to earth downlink applications," 2016 International Conference on Control, Computing, Communication and Materials (ICCCCM), 1-4, Allahbad, 2016.
17. Hussine, U. U., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "A new I slotted compact microstrip antenna for L1 & L2 bands," Proceeding of the 2011 IEEE International Conference on Space Science and Communication (IconSpace), 286-290, Penang, 2011.
18. Rezazadeh, N. and L. Shafai, "A compact microstrip patch antenna for civilian GPS interference mitigation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. PP, No. 99, 1-1, 2018.
19. Mondal, T., S. Samanta, R. Ghatak, and S. R. Bhadra Chaudhuri, "A novel tri-band hexagonal microstrip patch antenna using modified sierpinski fractal for vehicular communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 57, 25-34, 2015.
20. Lee, B.-Y., W.-S. Chen, Y.-C. Su, and F.-S. Chang, "A corner-fed square ring antenna with an L-shaped slot onground plane for GPS application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 41, 111-120, 2013.