In this paper design of a stacked circular patch antenna is presented for high gain and wideband applications. The main radiator of this design is a circular patch antenna, which is fed by using a coupling mechanism. Wide impedance bandwidth of 40% and linear polarization of gain 9.5 dBi at the center frequency of 2.4 GHz is measured. The antenna gain is further increased by using regular period of N circular patch directors on top of the main radiator. The first director is placed in a distance of about one half of the wavelength and the next directors are placed with regular distances of about a quarter of the wavelength. The antenna gain is tuned and increased with the number of the directors in the range of 9.5-16.5 dBi with N up to seventeen. The antenna impedance change due to the added directors is adjusted by using two parasitic circular patches between the main radiator and the first director. A prototype antenna is designed, manufactured and measured. The antenna operation can be further extended using dual feed geometry in which we can obtain two orthogonal radiation patterns or circular polarizations.
2. Lee, Y. J., J. Yeo, R. Mittra, and W. S. Park, "Design of a high-directivity electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) resonator antenna using a frequency selective surface (FSS) superstrate," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 6, 462-467, Dec. 2004.
3. Zhao, T., D. R. Jackson, J. T. Williams, H.-Y. D. Yang, and A. A. Oliner, "2-D periodic leaky-wave antennas --- Part I: Metal patch design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3505-3514, Nov. 2005.
4. Feresidis, A. P., G. Goussetis, S. Wang, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Artificial magnetic conductor surfaces and their application to low-profile high-gain planar antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 209-215, Jan. 2005.
5. Wang, S., A. P. Feresidis, G. Goussetis, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "High gain subwavelength resonant cavity antennas based on metamaterial ground planes," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng., Antennas Propag., Vol. 153, No. 1, 1-6, Feb. 2006.
6. Kelly, J. R., T. Kokkinos, and A. P. Feresidis, "Analysis and design of sub-wavelength resonant cavity type 2-D leaky-wave antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 9, 2817-2825, Sep. 2008.
7. Khaleghi, A. and M. Kamyab, "Reconfigurable single port antenna with circular polarization diversity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 2, 555-559, 2009.
8. Padhi, S. K., N. C. Karmakar, Sr., C. L. Law, S. Aditya, and Sr., "A dual polarized aperture coupled circular patch antenna using a C-shaped coupling slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 12, 3295-3298, 2003.
9. Guha, D., C. Sarkar, S. Dey, and C. Kumar, "Wideband high gain antenna realized from simple unloaded single patch," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 10, 4562-4566, Oct. 2015.