Graphene, a one-atom thick layer of carbon atoms arranged to form a honeycomb lattice exhibits intriguing mechanical, thermal and electrical properties, which make it attractive for bio- and chemical sensors as well as flexible electronics applications. In this paper, graphene films with different amounts of graphene loading (weight fraction 12.5% and 25%) deposited by screen printing technique are characterized in the microwave frequency range. By fitting the measured scattering parameters of graphene-loaded microstrip lines with Advanced Design System (ADS) circuit simulations, a simple equivalent lumped circuit model of the film is obtained. The proposed equivalent lumped circuit model presented in this paper proves suitable as an initial step towards the full-wave electromagnetic modeling and analysis of graphene loaded microwave structures intended for sensing and tuning applications.
2. Geim, A., "Graphene: Status and prospects," Science, Vol. 324, 1530-1534, 2009.
3. Rafiee, M. A., J. Rafiee, Z. Wang, H. Song, Z.-Z. Yu, and N. Koratkar, "Enhanced mechanical properties of nanocomposites at low graphene content," ACS Nano, Vol. 3, 3884-3890, 2009.
4. Hyun, W. J., E. B. Secor, M. C. Hersam, C. D. Frisbie, and L. F. Francis, "High-resolution patterning of graphene by screen printing with a silicon stencil for highly flexible printed electronics," Advanced Materials, Vol. 27, 109-1115, 2015.
5. Zinenko, T. L., A. Matsushima, and A. I. Nosich, "Surface-plasmon, grating-mode and slab-mode resonances in THz wave scattering by a graphene strip grating embedded into a dielectric slab," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Quant. Electron., Vol. 23, No. 4, art. No. 4601809, 2017.
6. Bonaccorso, F., Z. Sun, T. Hasan, and A. C. Ferrari, "Graphene photonics and optoelectronics," Nat. Photon., Vol. 4, 611-622, 2010.
7. Hill, E. W., A. Vijayaragahvan, and K. Novoselov, "Graphene sensors," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 11, 3161-3170, 2011.
8. Zhu, Z., L. G.-Gancedo, A. J. Flewitt, H. Xie, F. Moussy, and W. I. Milne, "A critical review of glucose biosensors based on carbon nanomaterials: Carbon nanotubes and graphene," Sensors, Vol. 12, 5996-6022, 2012.
9. Leng, X., W. Li, D. Luo, and F. Wang, "Differential structure with graphene oxide for both humidity and temperature sensing," IEEE Sensor Journal, Vol. 17, 4357-4364, 2017.
10. Bozzi, M., L. Pierantoni, and S. Bellucci, "Applications of Graphene at microwave frequency," Radioengineering, Vol. 24, 661-669, 2015.
11. Hotopan, G., S. Ver Hoeye, C. Vazquez, R. Camblor, M. Fernandez, Las F. Heras, P. Alvarez, and R. Menendez, "Millimeter wave microstrip mixer based on graphene," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 57-69, 2011.
12. Hotopan, G., S. Ver Hoeye, C. Vazquez, A. Adaring, R. Camblor, M. Fernandez, and F. R. Las Heras, "Millimeter wave subharmonic mixer implementation using graphene film coating," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 140, 781-794, 2013.
13. Yasir, M., P. Savi, S. Bistarelli, A. Cataldo, M. Bozzi, L. Perregrini, and S. Bellucci, "A planar antenna with voltage-controlled frequency tuning based on few-layer graphene," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2380-2383, 2017.
14. Haider, N., N. D. Caratelli, and A. G. Yarovoy, "Recent developments in reconfigurable and multiband antenna technology," Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology, Vol. 869170, 1-9, 2016.
15. Hanson, G. W., "Dyadic Green’s functions for an anisotropic, non-local model of biased graphene," IEEE Transactions on antennas and propagation, Vol. 56, No. 3, 747-757, March 2008.
16. Donelli, M. and G. Oliveri, "Design of tunable graphene-based antenna arrays for microwave applications," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science meeeting, 908-909, Memphis, Tennessee, USA, 2014.
17. Thomas, P., N. K. Pushkaran, and C. K. Aanandan, "Preparation and microwave characterization of novel polyaniline-graphene composite for antenna applications," 2017 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium --- Fall (PIERS --- FALL), 1239-1244, Singapore, Nov. 19-22, 2017.
18. Liang, M., M. Tuo, S. Li, Q. Zhu, and H. Xin, "Graphene conductivity characterization at microwave and THz frequency," 8th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2014), 489-491, The Hague, 2014.
19. Pierantoni, L., M. Dragoman, and D. Mencarelli, "Analysis of a microwave graphene-based patch antenna," 2013 European Microwave Conference, 381-383, Nuremberg, 2013.
20. Savi, P., K. Naishadham, S. Quaranta, M. Giorcelli, and A. Bayat, "Microwave characterization of Graphene films for sensor applications," IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference (I2MTC), 1-5, Torino, Italy, May 22-25, 2017.
21. Savi, P., K. Naishadham, A. Bayat, M. Giorcelli, and S. Quaranta, "Multi-walled carbon nanotube thin film loading for tuning microstrip patch antennas," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-3, Davos, Switzerland, Apr. 10-15, 2016.
22. Torgvonikov, I. G., "Dielectric properties of wood and wood-based materials," Wood Science, Vol. 35, No. 3, 135-143, Springer, 1993.
23. Pierantoni, L., D. Mencarelli, M. Bozzi, R. Moro, and S. Bellucci, "Graphene-based electronically tuneable microstrip attenuator," Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology, Vol. 4, No. 18, 1-6, 2014.