General design guidelines for unidirectional electrically small parasitic array has been proposed by several researchers; however, the input resistance of these antennas is normally very low. In order to practically ``transfer'' this high directivity into realized gain, an appropriate matching mechanism is necessary. This paper gives a simple matching method by adding an inductive stub close to the antenna feed, which can effectively increase the antenna input impedance to 50 Ω and keep the gain almost invariant. Besides, it could make the resonant frequency very close to the frequency where maximum gain occurs, thus a high realized gain can be achieved. Computed and measured examples are given to validate this method.
2. Tang, M. C., B. Zhou, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Flexible uniplanar electrically small directive antenna empowered by a modified CPW-feed," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 914-917, 2016.
3. Haskou, A., A. Sharaiha, and S. Collardey, "Design of small parasitic loaded superdirective end-fire antenna arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 12, 5456-5464, 2015.
4. Yaghjian, A. D., T. H. O’Donnell, E. E. Altshuler, and S. R. Best, "Electrically small supergain end-fire arrays," Radio Sci., Vol. 43, No. 3, 2008.
5. Li, R., D. McNamara, G. Wei, and J. Li, "Increasing radiation efficiency using antenna shape optimization approach," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 3, 393-396, 2018.
6. Best, S. R., "A discussion on the quality factor of impedance matched electrically small wire antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1 II, 502-508, 2005.
7. Altshuler, E. E., "A method for matching an antenna having a small radiation resistance to a 50-ohm coaxial line," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 9, 3086-3089, 2005.
8. Yaghjian, A. D., M. Gustafsson, and L. Jonsson, "Minimum Q for lossy and lossless electrically small dipole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 143, 641-673, 2013.
9. Li, R., D. McNamara, and G. Wei, "Characteristic modes evaluation for metallic small antennas with unidirectional pattern," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1-1, 2017.