A simplified design of substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) is proposed here. The requirement of side walls using via which is quite cumbersome in the manufacturing process is eliminated in this structure. The design is based on producing an imaginary electric boundary by exciting the SIW using differential feed. It behaves as a pair of half mode substrate integrated waveguides (HMSIWs) sharing a common electric boundary. The new structure gives similar characteristics of the conventional SIW in terms of cutoff frequency, stopband rejection and operating bandwidth.
2. Che, W., K. Deng, D. Wang, and Y. L. Chow, "Analytical equivalence between substrate-integrated waveguide and rectangular waveguide," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 1, 35-41, February 2008.
3. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Accurate modeling, wave mechanisms, and design considerations of a substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2516-2526, 2006.
4. Cai, Y., Y. Zhang, Z. Qian, W. Cao, and S. Shi, "Compact wideband dual circularly polarized substrate integrated waveguide horn antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 7, 3184-3189, July 2016.
5. Parment, F., A. Ghiotto, T. P. Vuong, J. M. Duchamp, and K. Wu, "Low-loss air-filled substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) band-pass filter with inductive posts," European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 761-764, 2015.
6. Doghri, A., T. Djerafi, A. Ghiotto, and K.Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide directional couplers for compact three-dimensional integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 63, No. 1, 209-221, January 2015.
7. Cheng, Y. J., "Substrate integrated waveguide frequency-agile slot antenna and its multibeam appication," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 130, 153-168, 2012.
8. Huang, Y., Z. Shao, and L. Liu, "A substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filter using novel defected ground structure shape," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 135, 201-213, 2013.
9. Huang, J.-Q., D. Lei, C. Jiang, Z. Tang, F. Qiu, M. Yao, and Q.-X. Chu, "Novel circularly polarized SIW cavity-backed antenna with wide CP beamwidth by using dual orthogonal slot split rings," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 73, 97-104, 2017.
10. Moro, R., S. Agneessens, H. Rogier, A. Dierck, and M. Bozzi, "Textile microwave components in substrate integrated waveguide technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 63, No. 2, 422-432, February 2015.
11. Parment, F., A. Ghiotto, T. P. Vuong, J. M. Duchamp, and K. Wu, "Air-filled substrate integrated waveguide for low-loss and high power-handling millimeter-wave substrate integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 63, No. 4, 1228-1238, April 2015.
12. Grigoropoulos, N., B. S. Izquierdo, and P. R. Young, "Substrate integrated folded waveguides (SIFW) and filters," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, 829-831, 2005.
13. Hong, W., et al., "Half Mode substrate integrated waveguide: A new guided wave structure for microwave and millimeter wave application," Proc. Joint 31th Int. Conf. Infrared and Millimeter Waves/14th Int. Conf. Terahertz Electronics Shanghai, 18-23, September 2006.
14. Lai, Q., Ch. Fumeaux, W. Hong, and R. Vahldieck, "Characterization of the propagation properties of the half-mode substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, 1996-2004, 2009.
15. Wang, N., C. Jin, X. Xu, and H. Sun, "Quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Sendai, Japan, 286-288, 2014.
16. Bozzi, M., A. Georgiadis, and K. Wu, "Review of substrate-integrated waveguide circuits and antennas," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 8, 909, 2011.
17. Tu, W. H. and K. Chang, "Wide-band microstrip-to-coplanar stripline-slotline transitions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 3, 1084-1089, March 2006.