European smart energy meter applications operate over a smart grid network. These applications operate over ISM frequency bands. The proposed dual-band printed monopole antenna provides a solution to smart energy meter applications. The surface dimension of the planar monopole antenna is 45 x 17 mm2. The antenna has strips fabricated on a standard cost-effective FR-4 substrate of thickness 1.6 mm for achieving dual-mode resonance at 868 MHz and 2.4 GHz. The proposed monopole antenna has operating impedance bandwidth of 2.89% and 2.78% for the first and second resonances, respectively. The gain of the presented antenna is in order of 1.18 dBi for lower resonant mode and 2.1 dBi for the higher resonant mode. The antenna resonates in the frequency range which is also useful in smart RFID tags for device identification operating over smart grid. In addition, the antenna can be utilized for the devices functional in Low Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (LR-WPAN) and WiFi-based smart applications.
2. Chen, F., N. Wang, R. German, and F. Dressler, "Performance evaluation of IEEE 802.15. 4 LR-WPAN for industrial applications," Fifth Annual Conference on Wireless on Demand Network Systems and Services, 2008, WONS 2008, 89-96, IEEE, January 2008.
3. Callaway, E., P. Gorday, L. Hester, J. A. Gutierrez, M. Naeve, B. Heile, and V. Bahl, "Home networking with IEEE 802.15. 4: A developing standard for low-rate wireless personal area networks," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 40, No. 8, 70-77, 2002.
4. Lu, J. H. and Y. S. Wang, "Planar small-size eight-band LTE/WWAN monopole antenna for tablet computers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 8, 4372-4377, 2014.
5. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., S. Saleekaw, P. Akkaraekthalin, and M. Krairiksh, "A rhombic patch monopole antenna with modified Minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009.
6. Ban, Y. L., S. C. Sun, J. W. Li, and W. Hu, "Compact coupled-fed wideband antenna for internal eight-band LTE/WWAN tablet computer applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 17-18, 2222-2233, 2012.
7. Wong, K. L. and L. C. Lee, "Multiband printed monopole slot antenna for WWAN operation in the laptop computer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 2, 324-330, 2009.
8. Sze, J. Y. and Y. F.Wu, "A compact planar hexa-band internal antenna for mobile phone," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 413-425, 2010.
9. Wong, K. L. and C. Y. Tsai, "Half-loop frame antenna for the LTE metal-casing tablet device," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 1, 71-81, 2017.
10. Chiu, C. W., C. H. Chang, and Y. J. Chi, "Multiband folded loop antenna for smart phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 213-226, 2010.
11. Rosenberg, H., H. Jidhage, and B. Svensson, , Sony Mobile Communications AB, Wideband loop antenna, U.S. Patent 7,342,539, 2008.
12. Adachi, T., A. Hirata, and T. Shiozawa, "Folded loop antennas for handset terminals at the 2.0GHz band," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 36, No. 5, 376-378, 2003.
13. Naser-Moghadasi, M., Z. Mansouri, S. Sharma, F. B. Zarrabi, and B. S. Virdee, "Low SAR PIFA antenna for wideband applications," IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 62, No. 5, 564-570, 2016.
14. Jeon, S. and H. Kim, "Mobile terminal antenna using a planar inverted e feed structure for enhanced impedance bandwidth," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2133-2139, 2012.
15. Lu, J. H. and F. C. Tsai, "Planar small-size LTE/WWAN tablet computer antenna with eight-band operation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 29, No. 8, 1032-1046, 2015.
16. Wong, K. L. and M. T. Chen, "Very low profile dual wideband loop antenna for LTE tablet computer," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 1, 141-146, 2015.
17. Anguera, J., A. And´ujar, M. C. Huynh, C. Orlenius, C. Picher, and C. Puente, "Advances in antenna technology for wireless handheld devices," Digital Communication World, Vol. 2013, No. 1921, 388-391, 2014.
18. Wong, K. L. and and Y. C. Liu, "Small size WWAN tablet computer antenna with distributed and lumped parallel resonant circuits," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1348-1353, 2012.
19. Chen, S. C. and Y. C. Tsou, "Bandwidth enhancement of a monopole exciter by using a chipi-nductor-loaded shorted strip," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 11, 1481-1492, 2016.
20. Upadhyaya, T. K., V. V. Dwivedi, S. P. Kosta, and Y. P. Kosta, "Miniaturization of tri band patch antenna using metamaterials," 2012 Fourth International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks (CICN), 45-48, IEEE, November 2012.