This letter presents a broadband circularly polarized (CP) crossed dipole antenna with wide axial ratio (AR) beamwidth. The antenna consists of a crossed dipole fed by two baluns, a wideband feed network and a cylindrical metallic cavity. To broaden the beamwidth, circular arms are introduced. Meanwhile, the metallic cavity is utilized to broaden the AR beamwidth. Measurements show that the antenna has an impedance bandwidth of 70.6% (1.87-3.91 GHz) for voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) ≤ 2 and a 3-dB AR bandwidth of 62.4% (1.92-3.66 GHz). In addition, the 3-dB AR beamwidth of the antenna is larger than 100°, and the gain varies from 4 dBic to 6 dBic over the whole CP operation bandwidth. Owing to the high-gain and wideband operation, the proposed CP antenna is potentially capable for satellite applications and high-gain applications.
2. You, M., W. J. Lu, B. Xue, L. Zhu, and H. B. Zhu, "A novel planar endfire circularly polarized antenna with wide axial-ratio beamwidth and wide impedance bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 10, 4554-4559, Oct. 2016.
3. Pan, Z. K., W. X. Lin, and Q. X. Chu, "Compact wide-beam circularly-polarized microstrip antenna with a parasitic ring for CNSS application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 5, 2847-2850, May 2014.
4. Jiang, H., Z. H. Xue, W. M. Li, and W. Ren, "Broad beamwidth stacked patch antenna with wide circularly polarised bandwidth," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 1, 10-12, Jan. 2015.
5. Quan, X. L., R. L. Li, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A broadband omnidirectional circularly polarized antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 5, 2363-2370, May 2013.
6. Mak, K. M. and K. M. Luk, "A circularly polarized antenna with wide axial ratio beamwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3309-3312, Oct. 2009.
7. Sun, Y.-X., K. W. Leung, and K. Lu, "Broadbeam cross-dipole antenna for GPS applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 10, 5605-5610, Oct. 2017.
8. Liu, S. J., D. Li, B. Y. Li, and F. X. Wang, "A compact high-precision GNSS antenna with a miniaturized choke ring," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2465-2468, Jul. 2017.
9. Choi, E. C., J. W. Lee, and T. K. Lee, "Modified S-band satellite antenna with isoflux pattern and circularly polarized wide beamwidth," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1319-1322, Sep. 2017.
10. Sun, L., et al., "Broadband, wide beam circularly polarized antenna with a novel matching structure for satellite communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 59, 159-166, Nov. 2015.
11. Liu, Q., Y. A. Liu, Y. L. Wu, M. Su, and J. Y. Shen, "Compact wideband circularly polarized patch antenna for CNSS applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1280-1283, Sep. 2013.