Design of a resistive-loaded Transverse Electromagnetic (TEM) horn antenna for air-coupled ground penetrating radar (GPR) is proposed in this paper. As the focus is on the application in sensing pavement subsurface, some issues should be considered, such as ultra-bandwidth (UWB) performance, air-coupled detection, high fidelity, compact structure, and simple fabrication. The resistive-loaded horn antenna with a microstrip-type balun was constructed and measured to facilitate the issues. With the radiation towards concrete ground at a height of 0.5 meters, the measured results suggested that the impedance bandwidth of the antenna was 0.5~14 GHz with a return loss less than -10 dB. The radiation waveform of the horn antenna also showed a late-time ring. A radar experiment result showed that the antenna performed excellently for pavement layer detection.
2. Willett, D. A., K. C. Mahboub, and B. Rister, "Accuracy of ground-penetrating radar for pavement-layer thickness analysis," Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 132, 96-103, 2006.
3. Loizos, A. and C. Plati, "Accuracy of pavement thicknesses estimation using different ground penetrating radar analysis approaches," NDT & E International, Vol. 40, 147-157, 2007.
4. Han, J. and C. Nguyen, "Development of a tunable multiband UWB radar sensor and its applications to subsurface sensing," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 7, 51-58, 2007.
5. Al-Qadi, I. and S. Lahouar, "Measuring layer thicknesses with GPR --- Theory to practice," Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 19, 763-772, 2005.
6. Saarenketo, T. and T. Scullion, "Road evaluation with ground penetrating radar," Journal of Applied Geophysics, Vol. 43, 119-138, 2000.
7. Dérobert, X., J. Iaquinta, G. Klysz, and J. P. Balayssac, "Use of capacitive and GPR techniques for the non-destructive evaluation of cover concrete," Ndt & E International, Vol. 41, 44-52, 2008.
8. Shao, J., G. Fang, Y. Ji, and H. Yin, "Semicircular slot-tuned planar half-ellipse antenna with a shallow vee-cavity in vital sign detection," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol. 7, 767-774, 2014.
9. Seyfried, D., R. Jansen, and J. Schoebel, "Shielded loaded bowtie antenna incorporating the presence of paving structure for improved GPR pipe detection," Journal of Applied Geophysics, Vol. 111, 289-298, 2014.
10. Bai, J., S. Shi, and D. W. Prather, "Modified compact antipodal vivaldi antenna for 4–50-GHz UWB application," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, 1051-1057, 2011.
11. Ma, K., Z. Zhao, J. Wu, S. M. Ellis, and Z.-P. Nie, "A printed vivaldi antenna with improved radiation patterns by using two pairs of eye-shaped slots for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 63-71, 2014.
12. Uduwawala, D., M. Norgren, P. Fuks, and A. W. Gunawardena, "A deep parametric study of resistor-loaded bow-tie antennas for ground-penetrating radar applications using FDTD," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 42, 732-742, 2004.
13. Campbell, M. A., O.Michal, and E. C. Fear, "TEMhorn antenna for near-field microwave imaging," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 1164-1170, 2010.
14. Shlager, K. L., G. S. Smith, and J. G. Maloney, "TEM horn antenna for pulse radiation: An improved design," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 12, 86-90, 1996.
15. Shao, J., G. Fang, J. Fan, Y. C. Ji, and H. Yin, "TEM horn antenna loaded with absorbing material for GPR applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 523-527, 2014.
16. Dehdasht-Heydari, R., H. R. Hassani, and A. R. R. Mallahzadeh, "Quad ridged horn antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 23-38, 2008.
17. Theodorou, E. A., M. R. Gorman, P. R. Rigg, and F. N. Kong, "Broadband pulse-optimised antenna," IEE Proceedings H, Microwaves Optics and Antennas, Vol. 128, 124-130, 1981.
18. Yarovoy, A. G., A. D. Schukin, I. V. Kaploun, and L. P. Ligthart, "The dielectric wedge antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, 1460-1472, 2002.
19. Tan, A.-C., K. Jhamb, and K. Rambabu, "Design of transverse electromagnetic horn for concrete penetrating ultrawideband radar," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 1736-1743, 2012.
20. Hecken, R. P., "A near-optimum matching section without discontinuities," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 20, 734-739, 1972.
21. Wheeler, H. A., "Transmission-line properties of parallel wide strips by a conformal-mapping approximation," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 12, 280-289, 1964.
22. Hecken, R. P., "A near-optimum matching section without discontinuities," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 20, 734-739, 1972.
23. Daniels, D. J., Ground Penetrating Radar, Chapter 2, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005.