Phonon-polariton is the coupled excitation between optical phonon and photon. The remarkable frequency vs. wavevector dispersion relation of phonon-polariton contributes to important technological applications such as tunable terahertz radiation sources and basic materials science to clarify the terahertz dynamics of condensed matter such as lattice instability in ferroelectrics. This paper studies the broadband dispersion relation of phonon-polariton between 10 cm-1 and 1200 cm-1 in uniaxial ferroeletric crystals, LiNbO3 (LN) and LiTaO3 (LT) with polar trigonal system on the basis of the observed results using THz-Raman spectroscopy, THz time domain spectroscopy, and far-infrared spectroscopy. The dispersion on the lowest-frequency TO mode with A1(z) symmetry of LN and LT crystals, which are assigned as ferroelectric soft modes, is discussed.
2. Claus, R., L. Merten, and J. Brandmuller, Light Scattering by Phonon-polaritons, Springer-Verlag, 1975.
3. Xu, Y., Ferroelectric Materials and Their Applications, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1991.
4. Volk, T. and M. Wohlecke, Lithium Niobate: Defects, Photorefraction and Ferroelectric Switching, Springer Series in Materials Science, Vol. 115, Springer, Heidelberg, 2008.
5. Henry, C. H. and J. J. Hopfield, "Raman scattering by polaritons," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 15, 964-966, 1965.
6. Wiederrecht, G. P., T. P. Dougherty, L. Dhar, K. A. Nelson, D. E. Leaird, and A. M. Weiner, "Explanation of anomalous polariton dynamics in LiTaO3," Ferroelectrics, Vol. 150, 103-118, 1993.
7. Bond, W. L., "Measurement of the refractive indices of several crystals," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 36, 1674-1677, 1965.
8. Kojima, S. and T. Nakamura, "Observation of low frequency polaritons in barium sodium niobate," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 19, L609-610, 1980.
9. Kojima, S. and T. Mori, " Terahertz time-domain spectroscopy of infrared active soft mode and phonon-polariton dispersion," Ferroelectrics, Vol. 500, 183-202, 2016.
10. Kojima, S., K. Kanehara, T. Hoshina, and T. Tsurumi, "Optical phonons and polariton dispersions of congruent LiNbO3 studied by far-infrared spectroscopic ellipsometry and Raman scattering," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 55, 10TC02-1-5, 2016.
11. Kojima, S., "Composition variation of optical phonon damping in lithium niobate crystals," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 32, 4373-4376, 1993.
12. Kojima, S., H. Kitahara, M. Wada Takeda, and S. Nishizawa, "Terahertz time domain spectroscopy of phonon-polaritons in ferroelectric lithium niobate crystals," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 41, 7033-7037, 2002.
13. Kojima, S., H. Kitahara, S. Nishizawa, and M. Wada Takeda, "Dielectric properties of ferroelectric lithium tantalate crystals studied by terahertz time-domain spectroscopy," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 42, 6238-6241, 2003.
14. Margueron, S., A. Bartasyte, A. M. Glazer, E. Simon, J. Hlinka, I. Gregora, and J. Gleize, "Resolved E-symmetry zone-centre phonons in LiTaO3 and LiNbO3," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 111, 104105-1-6, 2012.
15. Kojima, S. and T. Nakamura, "Low frequency phonon polaritons in several ferroelectrics," Ferroelectrics, Vol. 37, 677-680, 1981.
16. Kojimam, S. and T. Nakamura, "Polariton-spectroscopy in several ferroelectric crystals," Ferroelectrics, Vol. 52, 171-180, 1983.
17. Kojima, S., H. Kitahara, S. Nishizawa, and M. Wada Takeda, "Dielectric properties of ferroelectric lithium tantalate crystals studied by terahertz time-domain spectroscopy," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 42, 6238-6241, 2004.
18. Bakker, H. J., S. Hunsche, and H. Kurz, "Coherent phonon polaritons as probes of anharmonic phonons in ferroelectrics," Rev. Mod. Phys., Vol. 70, 523-536, 1998.
19. Crimmins, T. F., N. S. Stoyanov, and K. A. Nelson, "Heterodyned impulsive stimulated Raman scattering of phonon-polaritons in LiTaO3 and LiNbO3," J. Chem. Phys., Vol. 117, 2882-2896, 2002.
20. Penna, A. F., S. P. S. Porto, and E. Wiener-Avnear, "Anomalous polariton dispersion in LiTaO3 near TC," Solid State Commun., Vol. 23, 377-380, 1977.