A circularly polarized (CP) antenna with simple feeding network for ultra-high-frequency (UHF) radio-frequency identification (RFID) reader application is presented in this letter. The proposed antenna consists of a slot loop etched on the ground and a simple feeding network using bended microstrip lines. And the two parts of the antenna are printed on either sides of a thin substrate, thus a low-profile antenna is obtained. The slot loop is meandered based on the first-order Minkowski fractal technique for antenna size reduction. To generate circularly polarized radiation, two branches of the feeding network are designed to be orthorhombic with 90° phase difference. The antenna is simulated and practically fabricated with a compact size of 80×80×1.6 mm3. The 10-dB impedance bandwidth and 3-dB axial-ratio (AR) bandwidth are measured to be 50 MHz (0.896-0.946 GHz) and 12 MHz (0.916-0.928 GHz), respectively. The measured peak gain exhibits stable value of 3 dBi over the impedance bandwidth. Furthermore, a wide 3-dB beamwidth of 120° is achieved for the proposed antenna. Based on the above, this antenna is well suited for applications in UHF RFID handheld readers.
2. Raviteja, C., et al., "A fractal-based circularly polarized UHF RFID reader antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 499-502, 2014.
3. Nasimuddin, Z.-N. and C. X. Qing, "Asymmetric-circular shaped slotted microstrip antennas for circular polarization and RFID applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 3821-3828, 2010.
4. Lam, K.-Y., et al., "Small circularly polarized U-slot wideband patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 87-90, 2010.
5. Chen, Z.-N., X. Qing, and H.-L. Chung, "A universal UHF RFID reader antenna," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, 1275-1282, 2009.
6. Lin, Y.-F., et al., "Bidirectional radiated circularly polarised square-ring antenna for portable RFID reader," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, 1383-1384, 2008.
7. Lai, X.-Z., et al., "A dual circularly polarized RFID reader antenna with wideband isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1630-1633, 2013.
8. Hsu, H.-T. and T.-J. Huang, "Aperture-coupled dual-band circularly polarized antenna for RFID reader applications," 2012 Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference (CSQRWC), 52-55, 2012.
9. Chang, T.-N. and J.-M. Lin, "Serial aperture-coupled dual band circularly polarized antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 2419-2423, 2011.
10. Dhar, S., et al., "A wideband Minkowski fractal dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 2895-2903, 2013.
11. David, M.-P., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., 315-317, Hamilton Printing, America, 2005.
12. Liu, Q., J.-Y. Shen, and H.-L. Liu, "Low-cost compact circularly polarized directional antenna for universal UHF RFID handheld reader applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1326-1329, 2015.