This paper describes the design of a broadband, fixed-IF, high efficiency single subharmonic mixer at Ka-band. The co-simulation between HFSS and ADS is applied to the modeling of the mixer. In order to improve the accuracy of simulation, the diode model is divided into passive linear model and active nonlinear model. On this basis, a global accurate equivalent circuit model of mixer is proposed and verified by testing data. The circuit of the presented mixer printed on the substrate of Rogers RT/Duroid 3003 is mounted in a waveguide block. When the fifixed IF frequency is set at 1.5 GHz, measured results show that the conversion loss is less than 8 dB over the RF bandwidth from 25 GHz to 39 GHz with 12 dBm of local oscillator power. The minimum conversion loss of 6.2 dB is measured at 28 GHz. The measured isolation between LO and IF, LO and RF is over 23 dB. The measured isolation between IF and RF is over 20 dB. Good isolation is achieved.
2. Cheng, W., X. J. Deng, and M. Li, "110-170 GHz sub-harmonic mixer based on Schottky barrier diodes," ICMMT, Vol. 1, 1-4, 2012.
3. Chen, Z. H., J. P. Xu, and D. Z. Ding, "An accurate broadband equivalent circuit model of millimeter wave planar Schottky varistor diodes," ICMMT, Vol. 1, 1-4, 2012.
4. Li, K., M. H. Zhao, and Y. Fan, "A W band low-loss waveguide-to-microstrip probe transition for millimeter-wave applications," MMWCST, 1-3, 2012.
5. Liu, Z. and G. B. Xiao, "A new transition for SIW and microstrip line," APMC, 948-950, 2014.
6. Zhong, F. Q., B. Zhang, and Y. Fan, "A broadband W-band subharmonic mixers circuit based on planar Schottky diodes," 2012 International Conference on Industrial Control and Electronics Engineering (ICICEE), 792-794, October 04, 2012.
7. Liu, Y., M. Zhao, Z. He, and Z. Zhu, "A high efficiency balanced frequency tripler incorporating compensation structure for millimeter-wave application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 59, 79-88, 2015.
8. Li, K., M. Zhao, Y. Fan, Z. B. Zhu, and W.-Z. Cui, "Compact lowpass filter with wide stopband using novel double-folded scmrc structure with parallel open-ended stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 36, 77-86, 2013.
9. Yum, T. Y., Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "Novel subharmonically pumped mixer incorporating dual-band stub and in-line SCMRC," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, 2538-2547, 2003.
10. Kumar, G. A. and A. Kumar, "Low conversion loss Ka-band suspended stripline mixer with low LO power," IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 1-2, 2013.
11. Kawakami, K., M. Shimozawa, and H. Ikematsu, "A millimeter-wavebroadband monolithic even harmonic image rejection mixer," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, 1443-1446, 1998.
12. Bhavsar, M. L., R. Sharma, and A. Bhattacharya, "Monolithic Ka to Ku-band all balanced sub-harmonic resistive PHEMT mixer for satellite transponder," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, 316-318, 2015.
13. Wen, W. J., M. Gao, B. Song, and J. Xun, "Design of a Ka-band GaAs MMIC broadband single-balanced mixer," Semiconductor Technology, Vol. 25, 661-665, 2013.
14. Li, K., "Development of a millimeter wave ultra-wideband subharmonically pumped mixer," Telecommunication Engineering, Vol. 54, 338-342, 2014.