This paper presents a direct matrix synthesis for in-line diplexers constructed by general Chebyshev channel filters. The finite transmission zeros of the channel filters are generated and independently controlled by a set of frequency-variant couplings (FVC) sections. The network only involves resonators cascaded one by one without any auxiliary elements (such as cross-coupled or extracted-pole structures), and this paper provides the best synthesis solution in configuration simplicity for narrowband contiguous diplexers. For the channel filters, considering both the couplings and capacitances matrices of a traditional low-pass prototype, a generalized transformation on the admittance matrix is introduced as the basis of the synthesis, which allows more than one cross-coupling to be annihilated in a single step, while generating an FVC section simultaneously. Two examples of diplexer are synthesized to show the validation of the method presented in this paper.
2. Rhodes, J. D. and R. Levy, "Design of general manifold multiplexers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 27, No. 2, 111-123, Feb. 1979.
3. Macchiarella, G. and S. Tamiazzo, "Novel approach to the synthesis of microwave diplexers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 12, 4281-4290, Dec. 2006.
4. Cameron, R., "General coupling matrix synthesis methods for Chebyshev filtering functions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 4, 433-442, Apr. 1999.
5. Szydlowski, L., A. Lamecki, and M. Mrozowski, "Coupled-resonator filters with frequency-dependent couplings: Coupling matrix synthesis," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 6, 312-314, Jun. 2012.
6. Tamiazzo, S. and G. Macchiarella, "An analytical technique for the synthesis of cascaded N-tuplets cross-coupled resonators microwave filters using matrix rotations," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1693-1698, May 2005.
7. Amari, S. and G. Macchiarella, "Synthesis of in-line filters with arbitrarily placed attenuation poles by using nonresonating nodes," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 10, 3075-3081, Oct. 2005.
8. Macchiarella, G. and S. Tamiazzo, "Synthesis of star-junction multiplexers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3732-3741, Dec. 2010.
9. Tubail, D. A. and T. F. Skaik, "Synthesis of coupled resonator-based multiplexers with generalized structures using coupling matrix optimization," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 23, 1891-1893, Nov. 2015.
10. Xia, W., "Diplexers and multiplexers design by using coupling matrix optimisation,", Ph.D. dissertation, School Electron., Elect. Syst. Eng., Univ. Birmingham, Birmingham, U.K., 2015.
11. Liu, B., H. Yang, and M. J. Lancaster, "Synthesis of coupling matrix for diplexers based on a self-adaptive differential evolution algorithm," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 66, No. 2, 813-821, Feb. 2018.
12. Tamiazzo, S. and G. Macchiarella, "Synthesis of cross-coupled filters with frequency-dependent couplings," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 65, No. 3, 775-782, Mar. 2017.
13. Macchiarella, G. and S. Tamiazzo, "Generation of canonical forms for multiport filtering networks," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1-3, Tampa, FL, USA, Jun. 2014.
14. Zhao, P. and K.-L. Wu, "Adaptive computer-aided tuning of coupledresonator diplexers with wire T-junction," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 65, No. 10, 3856-3865, Oct. 2017.
15. Cameron, R. J., A. R. Harish, and C. J. Radcliffe, "Synthesis of advanced microwave filters without diagonal cross-couplings," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 12, 2862-2872, Dec. 2002.