We report on the experimental verification of the employment of equivalent parameters in a 2D finite element model to describe absorptivity of curve-shaped, large-scale metamaterial structures. Equivalent homogeneous optical parameters were retrieved from experimental measurements of flat metamaterial sheets with square resonators of 8 and 9 mm and used in a 2D FE model to obtain the absorptivity of curved structures with similar metamaterial unit cells. The curved structures were experimentally characterized and showed good agreement with the model. The tremendous simplification made possible by simulating complex structures as homogeneous materials makes the method very attractive for designing large-scale electromagnetic shields and absorbers.
2. Qiao, S., Y. Zhang, S. Liang, L. Sun, H. Sun, G. Xu, Y. Zhao, and Z. Yang, "Multi-band terahertz active device with complementary metamaterial," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 118, 123106, 2015.
3. Vendik, I. B. and O. G. Vendik, "Metamaterials and their applications in microwaves: A review," Tech. Phys., Vol. 58, 1-24, 2013.
4. Boggi, S., R. Alonso, and W. G. Fano, "Shielding effectiveness of a metamaterial measured at microwave range of frequency, known as wire screen metamaterial (WSM)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 63, 33-46, 2018.
5. Tsutaoka, T., K. Hatakeyama, and T. Kasagi, "Possibilities for the EM absorber and shielding by use of metamaterials," 2009 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Kyoto, Japan, Jul. 20-24, 2009.
6. Solovey, A., "Theoretical limitations on shielding and reflective properties of microwave metamaterial absorbers," 2017 International workshop on Antenna Technology: Small Antennas, Innovative Structure, and Applications (iWat), 148-151, Athens, 2017.
7. Aydin, K., I. Bulu, K. Guven, M. Kafesaki, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Ozbay, "Investigation of magnetic resonances for different split-ring resonator parameters and designs," New J. Phys., Vol. 7, 168-183, 2005.
8. Guo, H., N. Liu, L. Fu, T. P. Meyrath, T. Zentgraf, H. Schweizer, and H. Giessen, "Resonance hybridization in double split-ring resonator metamaterials," Optics Express, Vol. 15, 12095-12101, 2007.
9. Gwinner, M. C., E. Koroknay, L. Fu, P. Patoka, W. Kandulski, M. Giersig, and H. Giessen, "Periodic large-area metallic split-ring resonator metamaterial fabrication based on shadow nanosphere lithography," Small, Vol. 5, 400-406, 2009.
10. Ozturk, Y. and A. E. Yilmaz, "Multiband and perfect absorber with circular fishnet metamaterial and its variations," ACES, Vol. 31, 1445-1451, 2016.
11. Shen, Y., Z. Pei, Y. Pang, J. Wang, A. Zhang, and S. Qu, "An extremely wideband and lightweight metamaterial absorber," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 117, 224503, 2015.
12. Grbovic, D., F. Alves, B. Kearney, B. Waxer, R. Perez, and G. Omictin, "Metal-organic hybrid resonant terahertz absorbers with SU-8 photoresist dielectric layer," J. Micro/Nanolith. MEMS MOEMS, Vol. 12, No. 4, 041204, 2013.
13. Alves, F., B. Kearney, D. Grbovic, N. V. Lavrik, and G. Karunasiri, "Strong terahertz absorption using SiO2/Al based metamaterial structures," Appl. Phys. Letters, Vol. 100, 111104, 2012.
14. Kearney, B., F. Alves, D. Grbovic, and G. Karunasiri, "Al/SiOx/Al single and multiband metamaterial absorbers for terahertz sensor applications," Opt. Engineering, Vol. 52, No. 1, 013801, 2013.
15. Tretyakov, S., Analytical Modeling in Applied Electromagnetics, Artech House, 2003.
16. Hewitt, C., F. Alves, J. Luscombe, and D. Grbovic, "Application of equivalent medium parameters in finite element models of microwave metamaterials," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 123, 115101, 2018.
17. Liu, R., C. Ji, Z. Zhao, and T. Zhou, "Metamaterials: Reshape and rethink," Engineering, Vol. 1, 179-184, 2015.
18. Alves, F., B. Kearney, D. Grbovic, and G. Karunasiri, "Narrowband terahertz emitters using metamaterial films," Optics Express, Vol. 20, 171863, 2012.