A phase diversity printed-dipole antenna element for patterns selectivity array application is designed in this paper. The antenna element consists of a printed dipole structure and two varactors. By changing the control voltage of each element, various radiation phases in the far field of each element is realized, that is, the peak gain direction of the array is changed. With this method, the structure designed is simple, and only two varactors are loaded. To verify the feasibility, an antenna prototype is experimentally characterized, which validates the proposed concept. The impedance bandwidth of array is 22.2% (3.2~4.0 GHz), in which the peak gain direction can be scanned during angles from -θ to +θ across broadside (θ = 13°~18° at different frequencies). It can be applied to phased antenna system.
2. Lin, W., H. Wong, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Wideband pattern-reconfigurable antenna with switchable broadside and conical beams," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2638-2641, 2017.
3. Qin, P. Y., Y. J. Guo, A. R. Weily, and C. H. Liang, "A pattern reconfigurable U-slot antenna and its applications in MIMO systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 516-528, Feb. 2012.
4. Fayad, H. and P. Record, "Multi-feed dielectric resonator antenna with reconfigurable radiation pattern," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 341-356, 2007.
5. Alam, M. S. and A. Abbosh, "Planar pattern reconfigurable antenna with eight switchable beams for WiMax and WLAN applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 10, 1030-1035, Jul. 2016.
6. Yang, Y., R. B. V. B. Simorangkir, X. Zhu, K. Esselle, and Q. Xue, "A novel boresight and conical pattern reconfigurable antenna with the diversity of 360° polarization scanning," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 11, 5747-5756, Nov. 2017.
7. Chen, S. L., P. Y. Qin, W. Lin, and Y. J. Guo, "Pattern-reconfigurable antenna with five switchable beams in elevation plane," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 3, 454-457, Mar. 2018.
8. Deng, W. Q., X. S. Yang, C. S. Shen, J. Zhao, and B. Z. Wang, "A dual-polarized pattern reconfigurable Yagi patch antenna for microbase stations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 10, 5095-5102, Oct. 2017.
9. Jusoh, M., T. Sabapathy, M. F. Jamlos, and M. R. Kamarudin, "Reconfigurable four-parasitic-elements patch antenna for high-gain beam switching application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 79-82, 2014.
10. Zainarry, S. N. M., N. Nguyen-Trong, and C. Fumeaux, "A frequency- and pattern-reconfigurable two-element array antenna ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 4, 617-620, Apr. 2018.