Conical and cylindrical dielectric resonator elements are vertically stacked and excited by a simple coaxial monopole. Compared to all earlier configurations, the proposed geometry significantly improves the impedance bandwidth. The ultrawideband response is enhanced due to the multiple resonances occurring by the suggested hybrid antenna. The footprint area of the antenna is only 63.6 mm2 or 25.44 x10-3λo 2 at the lowest operating frequency. The performance of the antenna is verified experimentally and numerically. Presented results show that the proposed hybrid monopole-DRA has a measured impedance bandwidth up to 148.6% (S11 < -10 dB) along with consistent monopole-like radiation patterns and peak gain of 7.14 dBi. With such properties, the proposed hybrid monopole-DRA can be used in different ultra-wideband wireless applications and as wideband electromagnetic interference (EMI) sensors.
2. Luk, K. M. and K.W. Leung, Dielectric Resonator Antennas, Research Studies Press Ltd., England, 2003.
3. Petosa, A., Dielectric Resonator Antenna Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2007.
4. Guillon, P. and Y. Garault, "Accurate resonant frequencies of dielectric resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 25, No. 11, 916-922, Nov. 1977.
5. Kishk, A. A., A. W. Glisson, and G. P. Junker, "Bandwidth enhancement for split cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 97-118, 2001.
6. Kishk, A. A. and A. W. Glisson, "Conical dielectric resonator antennas for wide-band applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 4, 469-474, Apr. 2002.
7. Kishk, A. A., "Tetrahedron and triangular dielectric resonator with wideband performance," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 4, 462-465, Jun. 2002.
8. Kishk, A. A., "Wide-band truncated tetrahedron dielectric resonator antenna excited by a coaxial Wide-band truncated tetrahedron dielectric resonator antenna excited by a coaxial," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2913-2917, 2003.
9. Zhang, L. N., S. S. Zhong, W. Shen, and X. Yang, "Wideband U-shaped dielectric resonator antenna," European Conferenceon Antennas and Propagation EuCAP 2009, 2361-2364, Berl in, Germany, Mar. 2009.
10. Li, B. and K. W. Leung, "Strip-fed rectangular dielectric resonator antennas with/without a parasitic patch," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 7, 2200-2207, Jul. 2005.
11. Young, C. S. D. and S. A. Long, "Wideband cylindrical and rectangular dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 426-429, 2006.
12. Liang, X., T. A. Denidni, and L. Zhang, "Wideband L-shaped dielectric resonator antenna with a conformal inverted-trapezoidal patch feed," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 1, 271-274, Jan. 2009.
13. Lapierre, M., Y. M. M. Antar, A. Ittipiboon, and A. Petosa, "Ultra wide-band monopole/dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 1, 7-9, Jan. 2005.
14. Thirakoune, S., A. Petosa, and A. Ittipiboon, "Yagi-like DRA-loaded monopole," Proc. ICEAA, 891-894, 2007.
15. Jazi, M. N. and T. A. Denidni, "A new hybrid skirt monopole dielectric resonator antenna," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 1-4, Jul. 2008.
16. Ghosh, S. and A. Chakrabarty, "Ultrawideband performance of dielectric loaded T-shaped monopole transmit and receive antenna/EMI sensor," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 358-361, 2008.
17. Guha, D., B. Gupta, and Y. Antar, "New pawn-shaped dielectric ring resonator loaded hybrid monopole antenna for improved ultra-wide bandwidth ," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag Lett., Vol. 8, 1178-1181, 2009.
18. Denidni, T. A., Z. Weng, and M. Niroo-Jazi, "Z-shaped dielectric resonator antenna for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 4059-4063, 2010.
19. Ge, Y., K. P. Esselle, and T. S. Bird, "Compact dielectric resonator antennas with ultrawide 60-110% bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 9, 3445-3448, 2011.
20. Khalily, M., M. K. A Rahim, and A. A. Kishk, "Bandwidth enhancement and radiation characteristics improvement of rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 393-395, 2011.
21. Gao, Y., Z. Feng, and L. Zhang, "Compact asymmetrical T-shaped dielectric resonator antenna for broadband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1611-1615, Mar. 2012.
22. Guha, D., B. Gupta, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Hybrid monopole-DRAs using hemispherical/conical-shaped dielectric ring resonators: Improved ultrawideband designs," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 1, 393-398, Jan. 2012.
23. Ozzaim, C., F. Ustuner, and N. Tarim, "Stacked conical ring dielectric resonator antenna excited by a monopole for improved ultrawide bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1435-1438, Mar. 2013.
24. Ozzaim, C., "Monopole antenna loaded by stacked annular ring dielectric resonators for ultrawide bandwidth," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 10, 2395-2398, 2014.
25. Abedian, M., S. K. A. Rahim, S. Danesh, S. Hakimi, L. Y. Cheong, and M. H. Jamaluddin, "Novel design of compact UWB dielectric resonator antenna with dual-band-rejection characteristics for WiMAX/WLAN bands," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 245-248, 2015.
26. He, Y., Y. Lin, C. Deng, and Z. Feng, "Annular column loaded cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna for wideband conical radiation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 12, 5874-5878, Dec. 2015.
27. Li, X., Y. Yang, F. Gao, H. Ma, and X. Shi, "A compact dielectric resonator antenna excited by a planar monopole patch for wideband applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2016, No. 3, 1-9, 2016.
28. Guha, D., D. Ganguly, S. George, C. Kumar, M. Sebastian, and Y. M. M. Antar, "A new design approach for a hybrid monopole to achieve increased ultrawide bandwidth," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 59, No. 1, 139-144, Feb. 2017.
29. Guha, D., Y. M. M. Antar, A. Ittipiboon, A. Petosa, and D. Lee, "Improved design guidelines for the ultra wideband monopole-dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 373-376, 2006.