A polarization matched 2×2 radiating array for electronically steered phased array antenna is presented. The antenna array is a multi-layer structure consisting of four square microstrip patch elements grown on each substrate to provide wide band operation at S-band. Dual polarizations of radiated wave from the antenna array have been achieved by feeding the array in series fed mode through horizontal and vertical ports. Designed 2×2 S-band dual polarized series fed antenna has been optimized on finite element based ANSYS HFSS full wave solver. Controlling the amplitude of RF signal at input ports, the polarization can be matched to the target antenna polarization, hence antenna can work as polarization matched antenna. Gain of the developed antenna is 13 dBi, and the return loss is better than 10 dB over the frequency range of 2.3 to 2.5 GHz. This antenna can be used as radiating array for electronically steered phased array for S-band SOTM (SATCOM On The Move) application where the polarization of the antenna changes with movement of host platform.
2. Di Bari, R., T. Brown, S. Gao, M. Notter, D. Hall, and C. Underwood, "Dual polarized printed S-band radar array antenna for spacecraft applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 2011.
3. Du Toit, L. J. and J. H. Cloete, "Dual polarized linear microstrip patch array," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Prop. Symp. Dig., 810-813, 1987.
4. Granholm, J., K. Woelders, M. Dich, and E. L. Christensen, "Microstrip antenna for polarimetric C-band SAR," 1994 Antennas & Propagation Society Int. Symposium, Vol. 3, 1844-1847, Seattle, USA, 1994.
5. Liang, X. L., S. S. Zhong, and W. Wei, "Dual-polarized corner-fed patch antenna array with high isolation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 47, No. 6, 520-522, Oct. 2005.
6. Granholm, J. and K. Woelders, "Dual polarization stacked microstrip patch antenna array with very low cross-polarization," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 10, 1393-1402, Oct. 2001.
7. Granholm, J. and N. Skou, "Dual-polarization, wideband microstrip antenna array for airborne C-band SAR," Proc. International Conf. on Phased Array Systems and Technology, 243-246, Dana Point, CA, 2000.
8. Wang, W., S.-S. Zhong, and X.-L. Liang, "A dual-polarized stacked microstrip antenna subarray for X-band SAR application," Conf. Rec. 2004 IEEE Antennas and Propagation. Society Int. Symposium, Vol. 2, 1603-1606, Jun. 2004.
9. Neves, E. S., W. Elmarissi, and A. Dreher, "Design of a broad-band low cross-polarized X-band antenna array for SAR applications," IEEE 2004 AP-S Symposium, Vol. 3, 2460-2463, 2004.
10. Gao, S. and A. Sambell, "Dual-polarized broad-band microstrip antennas fed by proximity coupling," IEEE Trans. Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 53, 526-530, Jan. 2005.
11. Gao, S. and S. S. Zhong, "A dual-polarized microstrip antenna array with high isolation fed by coplanar network," IEEE 1998 Radio and Wireless Conf., 213-216, Colorado Springs, CO, USA, 1998.
12. Sainati, R. A., CAD of Microstrip Antennas for Wireless Applications, Artech House, Boston, MA, 1996.
13. Chen, Z. and S. Otto, "A taper optimization for pattern synthesis of microstrip series-fed patch array antennas," Conf. Rec. 1009 Wireless Technology Conf., 160-163, 2009.
14. Tao, Y., Y. Ning, and L.-W. Li, "Novel series-fed taper antenna array design," Antenna and Wireless Propagation letters, IEEE, Vol. 7, No. 4, 362-365, Jul. 2008.
15. Oestges, C., B. Clerckx, M. Guillaud, and M. Debbah, "Dual-polarized wireless communications: From propagation models to system performance evaluation," IEEE Trans. Wireless Comm., Vol. 7, No. 10, 4019-4031, 2008.
16. Giulli, D., "Polarization diversity in radars," Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 74, No. 2, 245-269, 1986.
17. Wang, Y. and V. Chandrasekar, "Polarization isolation requirements for linear dual-polarization weather radar in simultaneous transmission mode of operation," IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, No. 8, 2019-2028, 2006.
18. Zhong, S.-S., X.-X. Yang, S.-C. Gao, and J.-H. Cui, "Corner-fed microstrip antenna element and arrays for dual-polarization operation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 10, 1473-1480, 2002.
19. Gao, S. and A. Sambell, "Low-cost dual polarized printed array with broad bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 12, 3394-3397, 2004.
20. Lau, K. L. and K.-M. Luk, "A wideband dual-polarized L-probe stacked patch antenna array," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 6, 529-532, 2007.
21. Acimovic, I., D. A. McNamara, and A. Petosa, "Dual-polarized microstrip patch planar array antennas with improved port-to-port isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 11, 3433-3439, 2008.
22. Mishra, P. K., D. R. Jahagirdar, and G. Kumar, "An array of broadband dual polarized electromagnetically coupled microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 44, 211-223, 2013.
23. Chakrabarti, S., "Development of shared aperture dual polarized microstrip antenna at L-band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 294-297, 2011.
24. Jiang, X., Z. Zhang, Y. Li, and Z. Feng, "A planar wide band dual-polarized array for active antenna system," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 13, 544-547, 2014.
25. Zhao, X. L., J. Jin, J.-C. Cheng, and L.-G. Liang, "A wideband dual-polarized array antenna with conical elements for Wi-Fi/WiMAX application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 13, 1609-1612, 2014.