D-dot sensor is a type of differential sensor that is widely used in the measurement of ultra-wide band (UWB) pulse electric field. The output of the sensor needs to be integrated to rebuild the original electric field. According to the methods of integration, the measurement system based on D-dot sensor can be classified into software integral D-dot measurement (SIDM) system and hardware integral D-dot measurement (HIDM) system. For an SIDM system, the accuracy of calibration, which is influenced by the integral error of the recovery signal, unfortunately, remains an impediment to its practical application. In this paper, a calibration uncertainty evaluation method based on a standard field generating equipment of time-domain electromagnetic pulse is investigated. The level of the integral error is determined by constructing a noise model using the calibration method. In the process of modeling, the characteristics of the background noise are analyzed first. Additionally, a random signal model taking background noise into account is built, and the integral value of the background noise is derived. Moreover, the integral error model is verified by a statistical method using tested data. After modeling, the uncertainty of the equivalent area for a real D-dot sensor in a software integral system and the methods for reducing the uncertainty are illustrated according to the integral error model.
2. Zhu, S., B. Zhu, and Y. Fan, "Measurement system of ultra-wide spectrum electromagnetic pulse radiating field," High Power Laser and Particle Beams, Vol. 18, No. 2, 261-264, 2006.
3. Jing, X., X. Zheng, and Y. Sun, "Research on the technology of EMP measurement in time-domain," Journal of Microwaves, No. S2, 76-78, 2010.
4. Alferness, R. C., "Waveguide electropitic mosulators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 30, No. 8, 1121-1137, 1982.
5. Ferrero, A., "Measuring electric power quality problems and perspectives," Measurement, Vol. 41, 121-129, 2008.
6. He, W., et al., "Principles and experiments of voltage transformer based on self-integrating D-dot probe," Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 34, No. 15, 2445-2451, 2014.
7. Chen, J., et al., "Ultra-wideband standard antenna for transient field measurement of short electromagnetic pulse," Proceedings of the 2013 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 197-202, 2013.
8. Olsen, S. L., "Asymptotic conical dipole D-dot sensor development,", AFWL-TR-75-263, 1976.
9. Wang, Q., Y. Li, and L. Shi, "Design and experimental research of D-dot probe for nuclear electromagnetic pulse measurement," High Power Laser and Particle Beams, Vol. 27, No. 11, 233-239, 2015.
10. Yao, L. J., et al., "Compensation of the offset in numerical integration of a D-dot sensor measurement," Proc. 3rd Asia-Pac Conf Antennas Propag., 898-901, 2014.
11. Yan, Y., et al., "Traceability and uncertainty of ultra-wide band short pulse electric field standard device," High Power Laser and Particle Beams, Vol. 26, No. 6, 2014.
12. Yan, Y., et al., "Study of the time-domain electromagnetic pulse standard field generation setup and its application," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 89, 074703, 2018.
13. Tamas, D., "Uncertainty of signal reconstruction in the case of jittery and noisy measurement," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 47, 1062-1065, 1998.
14. Liang, Z. and X. Meng, "Study on evaluation of both time-base distortion and sampling jitter of digital storage oscilloscopes," Acta Metrological Sinica, Vol. 29, No. 4, 358-364, 2008.
15. Liang, Z. and X. Meng, "Review of sampling jitter research," Journal of Test and Measurement Technology, Vol. 23, No. 3, 253-260, 2009.
16. Zhu, J., et al., "Time-based distortion correction algorithm of high-speed sampling oscilloscope," Journal of Beijing University of Technology, Vol. 39, No. 12, 1810-1814, 2013.
17. IEEE Std 1309TM-2013, "IEEE standard for calibration of electromagnetic field sensors and probes(excluding antennas) from 9 kHz to 40 GHz," IEEE Electromagnetic Compatibility Society, 2013.