High-altitude electromagnetic pulse (HEMP) field tests are often conducted in the working volume of HEMP simulators to verify the hardness or HEMP survivability of the systems under test. For HEMP field tests, enough confidence should be provided through certain specific test designs. In this paper, the confidence probability of HEMP field tests is defined through a statistical analysis. Based on this definition, the confidence level of the tests is proposed to address the problem that the probability of a failure or significant upset is unknown. The relation between the number of repeated illuminations in one test status and confidence level is provided after analysis. By balancing cost and confidence level, an appropriate number of the repeated illuminations for each test status can be obtained. The comparison with the definition in another article is also made.
2. Zhou, H., Z. Du, and K. Gong, "Transient response of bipolar junction transistor under intense electromagnetic pulse," High Power Laser & Particle Beams, Vol. 17, No. 12, 1861-1864, 2005.
3. Zhang, L., L. Shi, and J. Tan, "Experimental studies on interference characteristics of microcontroller under EMP," Safety & EMC, 33-35, 2005.
4. Wen, D., et al., "The simulation of preamplifier circuit responding to EM pulse," Ship Science and Technology, Vol. 4, 90-92, 2011.
5., Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) --- Part 1-3: General --- The Effects of High-altitude EMP (HEMP) on Civil Equipment and Systems, Basic EMC Publication, IEC 61000-1-3:2002, Aug. 2002.
6. Liu, H., Y. Xi, and J. Yang, "Electromagnetic pulse effect analysis for doppler radar," Journal of Microwaves, Vol. S3, 309-311, 2012.
7. Kichouliya, R. and M. J. Thomas, "Interaction of high power electromagnetic pulses with power cables and electronic systems ," IEEE International Symposium on EMC, 159-163, Jul. 2016.
8. Kopp, C., The Electromagnetic Bomb --- A Weapon of Electrical Mass Destruction, 1-26, Monash Univ. Clayton, Australia, 1996.
9. Zhou, B., B. Chen, and L. Shi, EMP and EMP Protection, 288-289, National Defence Industry Press, China, 2003.
10. Sabath, F. and S. Potthas, "Tolerance values and the confidence level for high-altitude electromagnetic pulse (HEMP) field tests," IEEE Trans. EMC, Vol. 55, No. 3, 518-525, Jun. 2013.
11., Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) -- Part 2: Environment --- Section 9: Description of HEMP Environment --- Radiated Disturbance, Basic EMC Publication, IEC 61000-2-9:1996, Dec. 1996.
12., Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) --- Part 4-25: Testing and Measurement Techniques --- HEMP Immunity Test Methods for Equipment and Systems, Basic EMC Publication, IEC 61000-4-25:2001, Nov. 2001.