An X-band pyramidal horn antenna with a fourth order Chebyshev filtering function is presented in this paper. Four resonators are implemented in linear rectangular waveguide in the filter design. The last stage resonator provides not only resonance pole but also radiation function. To achieve high directivity, a pyramidal horn is attached to the filter output port, with negligible effect on the filter performance. Theoretical results are calculated based on the coupling matrix between the resonators. Finally, a pyramidal horn antenna operating at 10 GHz is designed and fabricated for demonstration. The measured results have found to be in good agreement with the simulated ones.
2. Yusuf, Y., H. T. Cheng, and X. Gong, "Co-designed substrate-integrated waveguide filters with patch antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 7, No. 7, 493-501, Jul. 2013.
3. Chu, H., J. X. Chen, S. Luo, and Y. X. Guo, "A millimeter-wave filtering monopulse antenna array based on substrate integrated waveguide technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 316-321, Jan. 2016.
4. Lin, C.-K. and S.-J. Chung, "A compact filtering microstrip antenna with quasi-elliptic broadside antenna gain response," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 381-384, Apr. 2011.
5. Lin, C.-K. and S.-J. Chung, "A filtering microstrip antenna array," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 11, 2856-2863, Nov. 2011.
6. Wu, W.-J., Y.-Z. Yin, Z.-Y. Zhang, and J.-J. Xie, "A new compact filter-antenna for modern wireless communication systems," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1131-1134, Oct. 2011.
7. Chen, X. W., F. X. Zhao, L. Y. Yan, and W. M. Zhang, "A compact filtering antenna with flat gain response within the passband," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 857-860, Jul. 2013.
8. Yang, Y. and M. J. Lancaster, "Waveguide slot antenna with integrated filters," ESA Workshop on Antennas for Space Applications, 48-54, Noordwijk, Netherlands, Oct. 2010.
9. Chen, F. C., H. T. Hu, R. S. Li, Q. X. Chu, and M. J. Lancaster, "Design of filtering microstrip antenna array with reduced sidelobe level," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 2, 903-908, Feb. 2017.
10. Zhang, B. H. and Q. Xue, "Filtering antenna with high selectivity using multiple coupling paths from source/load to resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 8, 4320-4325, May 2018.
11. Mahmud, R. H. and M. J. Lancaster, "High-gain and wide-bandwidth filtering planar antenna array-based solely on resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 5, 2367-2375, May 2017.
12. Chen, F. C., J. F. Chen, Q. X. Chu, and M. J. Lancaster, "X-band waveguide filtering antenna array with non-uniform feed structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 65, No. 12, 4843-4850, Dec. 2017.
13. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory-Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2005.
14. Bilotti, F., L. D. Palma, D. Ramaccia, and A. Toscano, "Self-filtering low-noise horn antenna for satellite applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 354-357, Apr. 2012.
15. Barbuto, M., F. Trotta, F. Bilotti, and A. Toscano, "Horn antennas with integrated notch filters," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 2, 781-785, Feb. 2015.
16. Lancaster, M. J., Passive Microwave Device Applications of High-temperature Superconductors, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, UK, 1997.
17. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
18. Cozzens, D. E., "Tables ease horn design," Microwaves, 37-39, Mar. 1966.