A dual-band balun with inherent impedance transformation is presented in this paper. The inherent impedance transformation ratio from a range of 0.4 to 4.0 makes the balun ideal for the on-chip fabrication. The proposed dual-band balun exhibits excellent input port matching, equal output signal with phase dierence of 180, and extremely good isolation and matching at the output ports. A table is provided with the design parameters at the extreme impedance transformation ratios. The design concept of the proposed balun has been validated through a prototype fabricated on a Rogers RO5880 substrate. The measurement results are in good agreement with the EM simulation measurements.
2. Zhang, W., Y. Wu, W. Wang, and X. Shen, "Planar compact dual-band coupled-line balun with high isolation," China Commun., Vol. 14, 40-48, 2017.
3. Yao, L., Y. Wu, M. Li, and Y. Liu, "Three-dimensional high-isolated dual-band balun using doublesided parallel-strip line with inserted conductor plane," Electron. Lett., Vol. 53, 1211-1213, 2017.
4. Ahn, H.-R. and T. Itoh, "New isolation circuits of compact impedance-transforming 3-dB baluns for theoretically perfect isolation and matching," Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3892-3902, 2010.
5. Wu, Y., L. Yao, W. Zhang, W. Wang, and Y. Liu, "A planar dual-band coupled-line balun with impedance transformation and high isolation," IEEE Access, Vol. 4, 9689-9701, 2016.
6. Aboualalaa, M., A.-B. Abdel-Rahman, A. Allam, H. Elsadek, and R.-K. Pokharel, "Design of a dual-band microstrip antenna with enhanced gain for energy harvesting applications," Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 1622-1626, 2017.
7. Kanaya, H., T. Nakamura, K. Kawakami, and K. Yoshida, "Design of coplanar waveguide matching circuit for RF-CMOS front-end," Electron. Commun. Jpn II, Vol. 88, No. 7, 1017-1023, 2005.
8. Li, X., L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, and Y.-J. Yang, "Dual-band and wideband design of a printed dipole antenna integrated with dual-band balun," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 165-174, 2009.
9. Xian, J. Z., X. Q. Lin, L. Y. Nie, J.W. Yu, and Y. Fan, "Wideband dual-polarization patch antenna array with parallel strip line balun feeding," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1499-1501, 2016.
10. Yu, J., Y. Sun, H. Zhu, F. Li, and Y. Fang, "Stacked-patch dual-band and dual-polarized antenna with broadband baluns for WiMAX and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 68, 41-52, 2018.
11. Zhang, Z., M. F. Iskander, J. C. Langer, and J. Mathews, "Dual-band WLAN dipole antenna using an internal matching circuit," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1813-1818, 2005.
12. Gao, J. P., X. X. Yang, J. S. Zhang, and J. X. Xiao, "A printed volcano smoke antenna for UWB and WLAN communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 55-61, 2008.
13. Ahn, H. and T. Itoh, "Isolation circuit of impedance-transforming 3-dB compact baluns for near perfect output matching and isolation," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 113-116, Anaheim, CA, 2010.
14. Zhang, W., Y. Liu, Y. Wu, W. Wang, M. Su, and J. Gao, "A complex Impedance-transforming coupled-line balun," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 48, 123-128, 2014.
15. Gupta, R. and M. S. Hashmi, "High impedance transforming simplified Balun architecture in microstrip technology," Microw. Optical Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, No. 12, 3019-3023, 2018.
16. Nikravan, M.-A. and Z. Atlasbaf, "T-section dual-band impedance transformer for frequencydependent complex impedance loads," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 9, 551-553, 2011.
17. Monzon, C., "Analytical derivation of a two-section impedance transformer for a frequency and its first harmonic," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 10, 381-382, Oct. 2002.