This paper presents a wideband gate mixer using 0.15 μm GaAs enhancement-mode pseudomorphic high electron mobility transistor (E-mode PHEMT) process. The proposed mixer is based on a single-ended gate mixer topology. Proper input matching networks are used to ensure good conversion gain as well as a wide frequency band. A λ/4 open stub at local oscillator (LO) frequency and a low-pass filter at the drain terminal do great help to enhance LO-IF and RF-IF isolation performance. A Lange coupler is used to maintain LO-RF isolation in a wide frequency band. The measured results show that the mixer operates in wide RF frequency of 17-26 GHz and IF frequency of 0.8-1.7 GHz with a conversion gain of 5-8 dB. The 1 dB compression point (P1 dB) is -1~1 dBm, and the needed LO power is only 1 dBm. The LO-IF, RF-IF, and LO-RF isolations are about 45, 45, and 20 dB, respectively. This represents excellent performance for GaAs PHEMT mixer in terms of frequency bandwidth, conversion gain, isolation, and P1 dB performance.
2. Kang, J., A. Kurdoghlian, A. Margomenos, H. P. Moyer, D. Brown, and C. McGuire, "Design of 18-26 GHz receiver with wideband RF, LO and IF in 0.15 μm GaAs pHEMT process," IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1250-1253, 2017.
3. Nguyen, T., A. Pham, K. Fujii, and A. Riddle, "Development of a double-octave (7-34 GHz), highly linear single balanced resistive HEMT mixer using device linearization techniques," 2016 IEEE MTT-S International, 1-4, 2016.
4. Kim, S. C., D. An, B. O. Lim, T. J. Baek, D. H. Shin, and J. K. Rhee, "High-performance 94-GHz single balanced mixer using 70-nm MHEMTs and surface micromachined technology," IEEE Electron Device. Lett., Vol. 27, No. 1, 28-30, 2006.
5. Tseng, S. C., C. C. Meng, and C. K. Wu, "GaInP/GaAs HBT wideband transformer Gilbert downconverter with low voltage supply," IEEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 2, 127-128, 2008.
6. Liu, W., H. Liu, R.Wang, Y. Li, X. Cheng, and Y. Z. Xiong, "AW-band direct-conversion I-Q mixer in 0.13 μm SiGe BiCMOS technology," 2016 IEEE MTT-S International Wireless Symposium, 1-4, 2016.
7. Hwang, Y. J., H. Wang, and T. H. Chu, "A W-band subharmonically pumped monolithic GaAs-based HEMT gate mixer," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 7, 313-315, 2004.
8. Ning, X., H. Yao, X.Wang, and Z. Jin, "AW-band single-ended downconversion/upconversion gate mixer in InP HEMT technology," 2013 IEEE International Conference on Microwave Technology & Computational Electromagnetics, 277-279, 2013.
9. Chang, H. Y., Y. S. Wu, and Y. C. Wang, "A 38% tuning bandwidth low phase noise differential voltage controlled oscillator using a 0.5 μm E/D-pHEMT process," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 7, 467-469, 2009.
10. Chu, L. H., E. Y. Chang, S. H. Chen, Y. C. Lien, and C. Y. Chang, "2 V-operated InGaP-AlGaAs-InGaAs enhancement-mode pseudomorphic HEMT," IEEE Electron Device. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 2, 53-55, 2005.
11. Yan, P. P., H.Wei, and J. X. Chen, "Design and implementation of a millimeter wave active mixer MMIC," J. Infrared Millim. Waves, Vol. 27, No. 5, 333-336, 2008.
12. PE15-00 0.15 μm InGaAs pHEMT E-mode Power Device Model Handbook Ver. 1.0.3. Oct. 04, , 2016.
13. Hou, J., H. Xie, X. Li, H. Zhang, M. Zhao, and Y. Fan, "Design of a broadband fixed IF sub-harmonic mixer at Ka band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 79, 9-15, 2018.
14. Yu, C. J., Z. Li, and M. H. Zhao, "A K-band low conversion loss single balanced mixer with GaAs Schottky barrier diode," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Advanced Materials and Processes for RF and THz Applications, 1-3, 2016.
15. Kjelgard, K. G. and T. S. Lande, "A K-band UWB receiver front-end with passive mixer in 90 nm CMOS," IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband (ICUWB), 180-183, 2013.
16. Lin, H. H., Y. H. Lin, and H. Wang, "A high linearity 24-GHz down-conversion mixer using distributed derivative superposition technique in 0.18-μm CMOS process," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 1, 49-51, 2017.