In this letter, a space time synthesizer for the generation of monthly cloud free line of sight (CFLOS) statistics is presented. The proposed monthly time series generator is based on the synthesis of 3D cloud fields using Stochastic Differential Equations. Monthly Integrated Liquid Water Content (ILWC) statistics are used as inputs, and the temporal and spatial correlation of clouds is considered. The monthly variability of the cloud coverage is predicted, and the CFLOS is estimated taking into account the elevation angle of the slant path and the altitude of the station for high altitude optical ground stations. Finally, CFLOS numerical results are reported, and some significant conclusions are drawn.
2. Fuchs, C. and F. Moll, "Ground station network optimization for space-to ground optical communication links," IEEE/OSA J. of Opt. Comm. and Net., Vol. 7, No. 12, 1148-1159, Dec. 2015.
3. Poulenard, S., et al., "Ground segment design for broadband geostationary satellite with optical feeder link," J. Opt. Commun. Netw., Vol. 7, No. 4, 325-336, 2015.
4. Fuchs, C., et al., "Performance estimation of optical LEO downlinks," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 36, No. 5, 1074-1085, May 2018.
5. Lyras, N. K., et al., "Cloud attenuation statistics prediction from Ka-band to optical frequencies: Integrated liquid water content field synthesizer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 1, 319-328, Jan. 2017.
6. Lyras, N. K., et al., "Cloud free line of sight prediction modeling for optical satellite communication networks," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 21, No. 7, 1537-1540, Jul. 2017.
7. Lyras, N. K., et al., "Optimum monthly based selection of ground stations for optical satellite networks," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 22, No. 6, 1192-1195, Jun. 2018.
8. Luini, L. and C. Capsoni, "Modeling high-resolution 3-D cloud fields for earth-space communication systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 10, 5190-5199, Oct. 2014.
9. ITU-R Recommendation P.1853-1, "Tropospheric attenuation time series synthesis,", ITU-R P.1853-1, Geneva, Switzerland, 2012.
10. ITU-R Recommendation P.840-6, "Attenuation due to clouds and fog,", Geneva, Switzerland, 2013.
11. Perlot, N., T. Dreischer, C. M. Weinert, and J. Perdigues, "Optical GEO feeder link design," Proc. Future Netw. Mobile Summit (FutureNetw), 1-8, Jul. 2012.