A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter (BPF) with quad-notched bands and wide upper-stopband performance using quad-mode stepped impedance resonator (QMSIR) is proposed in this paper. Firstly, the resonance properties of the proposed QMSIR are studied. The proposed QMSIR is found to have the advantages of introducing quad notched bands and wide upper-stopband performance. Then, the proposed QMSIR is employed to achieve four desired notched bands. To validate the design concept, a novel super compact UWB BPF with quad notched bands respectively centered at frequencies of 5.2 GHz, 5.8 GHz, 7.0 GHz, and 8.0 GHz is designed and measured. The predicted results are compared with measured data, and good agreement is reported.
2. Zhu, L., S. Sun, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filters using quad-mode resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, 796-798, 2005.
3. Qiang, L., Y.-J. Zhao, Q. Sun, W. Zhao, and B. Liu, "A compact UWB HMSIW bandpass filter based on complementary split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 11, 237-243, 2009.
4. Packiaraj, D., K. J. Vinoy, and A. T. Kalghatgi, "Analysis and design of two layered ultra wide band filter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8-9, 1235-1243, 2009.
5. Wang, H., L. Zhu, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with hybrid microstrip/CPW structure," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Letters, Vol. 15, No. 12, 844-846, 2005.
6. Comez-Garcia, R. and J. I. Alonso, "Systematic method for the exact synthesis of ultra-wideband filtering responses using high-pass and low-pass sections," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 10, 3751-3764, 2006.
7. Pirani, S., J. Nournia, and C. Ghobadi, "Band-notched UWB BPF design using parasitic coupled line," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 8, 444-446, 2010.
8. Wong, S. W. and L. Zhu, "Implementation of compact UWB bandpass filter with a notch-band," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 1, 10-12, 2008.
9. Hao, Z.-C. and J.-S. Hong, "Compact UWB filter with double notch-bands using multilayer LCP technology," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 8, 500-502, 2009.
10. Hsiao, P.-Y. and R.-M. Weng, "Compact tri-layer ultra-wideband bandpass filter with dual notch bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 49-60, 2010.
11. Wei, F., Q. Y. Wu, X. W. Shi, and L. Chen, "Compact UWB BPF with triple-notched bands based on stub loaded resonator," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 2, 124-126, 2013.
12. Zhao, J.-D., J.-P. Wang, and J.-L. Li, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with triple notched bands using parallel U-shaped defected microstrip structure," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 2, 89-91, 2014.
13. Zhao, J.-D., J.-P. Wang, and J.-L. Li, "Compact microstrip UWB bandpass filter with dual notched bands using E-shaped resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 12, 638-640, 2013.
14. Zhu, L., S. Sun, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-Wideband (UWB) bandpass filters using multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, 796-798, Nov. 2005.
15. Hsu, C. L., F. C. Hsu, and J. Kuo, "Microstrip bandpass filters for Ultra-Wideband (UWB) wireless communications," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 679-682, Long Beach, CA, 2005.
16. Assimonis, S. D., A. X. Lalas, N. V. Kantartzis, and T. V. Yioultsis, "Reconfigurable bowtie electromagnetic bandgap based microwave filters," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 2472-2474, 2011.
17. Taibi, A., M. Trabelsi, A. Slimane, M. T. Belaroussi, and J. Raskin, "A novel design method for compact UWB bandpass filters," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 1, 4-6, 2015.
18. NSYS Corp. ANSYS/ANSOFT, High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), , Ver. 13.0, 2012, [Online], Available: http://www.ansoft.com.