A compact dual-band substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) crossover with high isolation is proposed. Two identical slots are etched on the ground plane to achieve dual-band response and compact size. The passbands are generated below the cutoff frequency of the SIW due to the electric dipole behaviour of the slots. In-line ports are also employed to obtain good transmission and high isolation. To validate the concept, a dual-band crossover operating at 2.4 GHz and 5.4 GHz is designed, fabricated, and measured. The crossover size including in-line ports is 43.2×43.2 mm2, equivalent to 0.43λg×0.43λg, here λg is the guided wavelength at the first operating frequency. The tested insertion loss and isolation at the two operating frequencies are smaller than 0.27 dB and greater than 40 dB, respectively.
2. Hesari, S. S. and J. Bornemann, "Substrate integrated waveguide crossover formed by orthogonal TE102 resonators," European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 17-20, 2017.
3. Zhang, X. C., Z. Y. Yu, and J. Xu, "Novel band-pass Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) filter based on Complementary Split Ring Resonators (CSRRs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 39-46, 2007.
4. Cassivi, Y., L. Perregrini, P. Arcioni, M. Bressan, K. Wu, and G. Conciauro, "Dispersion characteristics of substrate integrated rectangular waveguide," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 9, 333-335, 2002.
5. Horng, S. T., "A rigorous study of microstrip crossovers and their possible improvements," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 9, 1802-1806, 1994.
6. Becksa, T. and I. Wolff, "Analysis of 3-D metallization structures by a fullwave spectral-domain technique," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 12, 2219-2227, 1992.
7. Yang, Y. H. and G. N. Alexopoulos, "Basic blocks for high-frequency interconnects," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 36, No. 8, 1258-1264, 1988.
8. Wight, S. J., J. W. Chudobiak, and V. Makios, "A microstrip and stripline crossover structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 24, No. 5, 270-270, 1976.
9. Yao, J., C. Lee, and P. S. Yeo, "Microstrip branch-line couplers for crossover application," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 1, 87-92, 2011.
11. Djerafi, T. and K. Wu, "60 GHz substrate integrated waveguide crossover structure," European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 1014-1017, 2009.
12. Guntupalli, A., T. Djerafi, and K. Wu, "Ultra-compact millimeter-wave substrate integrated waveguide crossover structure utilizing simultaneous electric and magnetic coupling," IEEE/MTTS Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1-3, 2009.
13. Han, S., K. Zhou, J. Zhang, C. Zhou, and W. Wu, "Novel substrate integrated waveguide filtering crossover using orthogonal degenerate modes," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 27, No. 9, 803-805, 2017.
14. Abbosh, A., S. Ibrahi, and M. Karim, "A wideband single-layer crossover using substrate integrated waveguide to grounded coplanar waveguide transition," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 11, 2757-2762, 2017.
15. Zhou, Y., K. Zhou, J. Zhang, C. Zhou, and W. Wu, "Miniaturized substrate integrated waveguide filtering crossover," IEEE Electrical Design of Advanced Packaging and Systems Symposium (EDAPS), 1-3, 2017.