A new miniaturized microstrip branch-line coupler with wide suppression band is proposed in this paper. The new structure has two significant advantages, which not only effectively reduces the occupied area to 12.3% of the conventional branch-line coupler at 0.6 GHz, but also has high 11th harmonic suppression performance. The measured results indicate that a bandwidth of more than 125 MHz has been achieved while the phase difference between S21 and S31 is within 90° ± 1.0°. The measured bandwidths of |S21| and |S31| within 3 ± 0.4 dB are 145 MHz and 150 MHz, respectively. Furthermore, the measured insertion loss is comparable to that of a conventional branch-line coupler. The new coupler can be easily implemented by using the standard printed-circuit-board etching processes and is very useful for wireless communication systems.
2. Mohra, A., A. F. Sheta, and S. F. Mahmoud, "New compact 3 dB 0/180 microstrip coupler configurations," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 19, No. 2, 108-112, 2004.
3. Xiao, B., J. Hong, and B. Wang, "A novel UWB out-of-phase four-way power divider," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 26, No. 10, 863-867, 2011.
4. Shamaileh, K. A., A. Qaroot, N. Dib, and A. Sheta, "Design of miniaturized unequal split wilkinson power divider with harmonics suppression using non-uniform transmission lines," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 26, No. 6, 530-538, 2011.
5. Eccleston, K. W. and S. H. M. Ong, "Compact planar microstrip line branch-line and rat-race couplers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2119-2125, 2003.
6. Mondal, P. and A. Chakrabarty, "Design of miniaturized branch-line and rat-race hybrid couplers with harmonics suppression," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 1, 109-116, 2009.
7. Gu, J. and X. Sun, "Miniaturization and harmonic suppression of branch-line and rat-race hybrid coupler using compensating spiral compact micostrip resonant cell," IEEE MTT-S Int. Dig., 1211-1214, 2005.
8. Wang, J., B.-Z. Wang, Y. X. Guo, L. C. Ong, and S. Xiao, "A compact slow-wave microstrip branch-line coupler with high performance," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 7, 501-503, 2007.
9. Velidi, V. K., B. Patel, and S. Sanval, "Harmonic suppressed compact wideband branch-line coupler using unequal length open-stub units," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 1, 115-119, 2011.
10. Tsai, K. Y., H. S. Yang, J. H. Chen, and Y. J. Chen, "A miniaturized 3 dB branch-line hybrid coupler with harmonics suppression," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 10, 537-539, 2011.
11. Velidi, V. K., A. Pal, and S. Sanyal, "Harmonics and size reduced microstrip branch-line baluns using shunt open-stubs," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 2, 115-119, 2011.
12. Wu, L., S. Wang, L. Li, and C. Tang, "Compact microstrip UWB power divider with dual notched bands using dual-mode resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 75, 39-45, 2018.