This paper presents the realization of Nonstandard Finite Difference Time Domain (NS-FDTD) analysis having high accuracy and low computational cost to a negative permittivity metamaterial wire medium for the first time. A sine wave of frequency less than that of plasma frequency of the medium which is in the shape of a slab reflector is allowed to interact after identifying the exact values of the required stability condition of the NS-FDTD. The electric field distribution around the plasma slab obtained for a particular excitation point using NS-FDTD and standard FDTD are demonstrated which show obvious advantages of this high accuracy algorithm. This novel technique may be further extended to various dispersive and metamaterial structures.
2. Cole, J. B., "Generalized nonstandard finite differences and physical applications," Computers in Physics, Vol. 12, No. 1, 82-87, 1998.
3. Ohtani, T., K. Taguchi, T. Kashiwa, Y. Kanai, and J. B. Cole, "Nonstandard fdtd method for multifrequency analysis," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 44, No. 6, 1390-1393, 2008.
4. Ohtani, T., K. Taguchi, T. Kashiwa, Y. Kanai, and J. B. Cole, "Nonstandard fdtd method for wideband analysis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2386-2396, 2009.
5. Ohtani, T., K. Murakami, K. Taguchi, and T. Kashiwa, "Complex nonstandard FDTD method for dispersive media," 11th International Symposium on IEEE Antennas Technology and Applied Electromagnetics [ANTEM 2005], 1-4, 2005.
6. Jerez, S. and A. Lara, "A high resolution nonstandard fdtd method for the TM mode of Maxwell’s equations," Mathematical and Computer Modelling, Vol. 54, No. 7-8, 1852-1857, 2011.
7. Cole, J. B., "High-accuracy Yee algorithm based on nonstandard finite differences: New developments and verifications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 9, 1185-1191, 2002.
8. Cole, J. B., "High-accuracy FDTD solution of the absorbing wave equation, and conducting Maxwell’s equations based on a nonstandard finite-difference model," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 3, 725-729, 2004.
9. Pendry, J. B., A. Holden, D. Robbins, and W. Stewart, "Low frequency plasmons in thin-wire structures," Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, Vol. 10, No. 22, 4785, 1998.