This paper proposes a prototype of a flexible antenna which utilizes a star patch design. The work seeks feasibility of the star patch antenna to maintain its characteristic when it is bending on a curvy structure. The patch antenna is fabricated on a 0.8 mm thickness, h of polyimide film with a dielectric permittivity, εr of 3.4. The simulation result in Computer Simulation Technology Microwave Studio (CST MWS®) software shows that the antenna provides a -10 dB bandwidth of 24.9% at 2.45 GHz with a minimum reflection coefficient, S11 of -27.67 dB in the flat condition. The stability in its performance has been noticed in which the shift in the resonant frequency is less than 2% when the structure is bending on a curvy surface with a radius of 90 mm. The measured results in terms of reflection coefficient, bandwidth, radiation pattern and gain demonstrate a good agreement with the simulated results.
2. Whittow, W. G., et al., "Inkjet-printed microstrip patch antennas realized on textile for wearable applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 71-74, 2014.
3. Chen, S. J. and C. Fumeaux, "Wearable antennas based on graphite paper and conductive polymer," 12th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2018), 1-4, London, 2018.
4. Sabban, A., "Small wearable antennas for wireless communication and medical systems," 2018 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), 161-164, Anaheim, CA, 2018.
5. Li, W., W. Chung, F. Hsiao, T. Kao, and M. Huang, "Conformal integrated multi-layer thin-film antenna by novel LITA technologies for smartwatch wearable device applications," 2016 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 22-23, Okinawa, 2016.
6. Poonkuzhali, R., Z. C. Alex, and T. N. Balakrishnan, "Miniaturized wearable fractal antenna for military applications at VHF band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 62, 179-190, 2016.
7. Seman, F. C., C. Manoharen, Z. Z. Abidin, and F. A. Poad, "Performance evaluation and implementation of semi-flexible dipole antenna for Internet of Things applications," 2017 IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 158-161, Kuala Lumpar, 2017.
8. Ahmed, S., F. A. Tahir, A. Shamim, and H. M. Cheema, "A compact kapton-based inkjet-printed multiband antenna for flexible wireless devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1802-1805, 2015.
9. Khaleel, H. R., H. M. Al-Rizzo, D. G. Rucker, and S. Mohan, "A compact polyimide-based UWB antenna for flexible electronics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 564-567, 2012.
10. Yuningtias, E., R. Yuwono, E. B. Purnomowati, G. Dhuha, and F. Ramadhan, "Star patch microstrip antenna for UWB," The 14th International Conference on Quality in Research, (QiR), 2015.
11. Jilani, S. F., H. Ur-Rahman, and M. N. Iqbal, "Novel star-shaped fractal design of rectangular patch antenna for improved gain and bandwidth," 2013 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1486-1487, Orlando, FL, 2013.
12. Ashyap, A. Y. I., Z. Z. Abidin, S. H. Dahlan, H. A. Majid, and F. C. Seman, "A compact wearable antenna using EBG for smart-watch applications," 2018 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1477-1479, Kyoto, 2018.
13. Mayhew-Ridgers, G., P. A. van Jaarsveld, J. W. Odendaal, and J. Joubert, "Accurate gain measurements for large antennas using modified gain-transfer method," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 369-371, 2014.