This paper presents a stacked rectangular dielectric resonator antenna design. In this structure, two sapphires having the same dielectric constant and different dimensions piled over each other have been used for designing the proposed antenna. The designed antenna exhibits two frequency bands from 7.41 GHz to 8.21 GHz and 9.11 GHz to 12.65 GHz and impedance matching of 50 ohms. The proposed antenna design is a fine choice for subterranean and rugged communication, in addition, owing to sapphires unique features viz. durability, endurance, and aversion to physical change. The antenna structure is aperture coupled. Due to the advantage of aperture coupled feed mechanism such as good isolation between antennas and feed networks it has been employed. The antenna prototype has been fabricated, measured, and tested using Vector Network Analyzer and Anechoic Chamber to validate the proposed antenna design. The simulation results obtained indicate close proximity of tested result.
2. Vaish, A. and S. Mahender, "Numerical methods used in the analysis of DRA," JARDCS, Issue 06 --- special Issue, 1208-1211, June 2018.
3. Vaish, A. and S. Mahender, "Review report on DRA," JARDCS, Issue 06 --- special Issue, 1199-1207, June 2018.
4. Richtmeyer, R., "Dielectric resonators," Journal of Applied Physic, Vol. 10, 391, 1939.
5. Long, S. A., M. W. McAllister, and L. C. Shen, "The resonator cylindrical dielectric cavity antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, 406-412, 1983.
6. McAllister, M., S. A. Long, and G. L. Conway, "Rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 19, 291-220, 1983.
7. McAllister, M. and S. A. Long, "Resonator hemispherical dielectric antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 20, 657-659, 1984.
8. Maity, S. and B. Gupta, "Theory and experiments on horizontally inhomogeneous rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 76, 158-165, June 2017.
9. Rahimian, Z., S. Nikmehr, and A. Pourziad, "Circularly polarized rectangular dielectric resonator antennas with branch-line coupler for wideband applications," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 69, 169-175, January 2015.
10. Bakshi, G., R. S. Yaduvanshi, and A. Kumar, "Design of rectangular dielectric antenna using sapphire with probe fed arrangement," International Journal of Industrial Electronics and Electrical Engineering (IJIEEE), Vol. 4, No. 9, September 2016, ISSN: 2347-6982.
11. Buerkle, A., K. Sarabandi, and H. Mosallaei, "Compact slot and dielectric resonator antenna with dual-resonance, broadband characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 1020-1027, 2005.
12. Rao, Q., T. A., and A. R. Sebak, "Study of broadband dielectric resonator antennas," PIERS Proceedings, 137-141, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China, August 22-26, 2005.
13. Gao, Y., A. P. Popov, B. L. Ooi, and M. S. Leong, "Experimental study of wideband hybrid dielectric resonator antenna on small ground plane," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, 731-733, 2006.
14. Guha, D. and Y. M. Antar, "Four-element cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna for wideband monopole-like radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 2657-2662, 2006.
15. Mehdipour, A., T. A. Denidni, A. Sebak, C. W. Trueman, I. D. Rosca, and S. V. Hoa, "Non-metallic dielectric resonator antenna using carbon nanotube composite materials," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1293-1295, 2012.
16. Leug, K. W. and Y. M. Pan, "Wireless video system using dual function omnidirectional glass dielectric resonator antenna," Proceedings of 2013 URSI International Symposium on Electromagnetic theory (EMTS), 676-678, 2013.
17. Ge, Y. and K. P. Esselle, "A dielectric resonator antenna for UWB applications," IEEE 2009 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Society, APSURI’09, 1-4, 2009.
18. Almpanis, G., C. Fumeaux, and R. Vahldieck, "Offset cross-slot-coupled dielectric resonator antenna for circular polarisation," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, 461-463, 2006.
19. Hajihashemi, M. R. and H. Abiri, "Parametric study of novel types of dielectric resonator antennas based on fractal geometry," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 17, 416-424, 2007.
20. Parida, S., S. K. Rout, V. Subramanian, P. K. Barhai, N. Gupta, and V. R. Gupta, "Structural microwave dielectric properties and dielectric resonator antenna studies of Sr (Zrx Ti1) O3 ceramics," Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 528, 12-134, 2012.
21. Parida, S., S. K. Rout, N. Gupta, and V. R. Gupta, "Solubility limits and microwave dielectric properties of Ca (Zrx Ti1-x) O3 solid solution," Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 546, 216-223, 2013.
22. Bakshi, G., A. Vaish, and R. S. Yaduvanshi, Wireless Pers. Commun., 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11277-019-06437-4.
23. Pan, Y. M. and S. Y. Zheng, "A Low-profile Stacked Dielectric Resonator Antenna with High-Gain and Wide Bandwidth," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 68-71, 2016.
24. Kishk, A. A., X. Zhang, A. W. Glisson, and D. Kajfez, "Numerical analysis of stacked dielectric resonator antennas excited by a coaxial probe for wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1996-2006, August 2003.
25. Petosa, A., N. Simons, R. Siushansian, A. Ittipiboon, and M. Cuhaci, "Design and analysis of multi-segment dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 5, 738-742, May 2000.
26. Mongia, R. K. and A. Ittipiboon, "Theoretical and experimental investigations on rectangular dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, 1348-1356, September 1997.
27. Neshati, M. H. and Z. Wu, "Rectangular dielectric resonator antennas: theoretical modelling and experiments," 7th International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Conference Publication No. 480 IEEE 2001, April 17-20, 2001.
28. St. Martin, J., Y. M. M. Antar, A. A. Kishk, A. Ittipiboon, and M. Cuhaci, "Dielectric resonator antenna using aperture coupling," Electronics Letters, Vol. 26, No. 24, 2015-2016, November 1990.
29. St. Martin, J., Y. M. M. Antar, A. A. Kishk, A. Ittipiboon, and M. Cuhaci, "Aperture-coupled dielectric resonator antenna," 1991 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Digest, 1086-1089, 1991.
30. Yaduvanshi, R. S. and H. Parthasarathy, Rectangular Dielectric Resonator Antennas: Theory and Design, Springer Publishing, 2016.
31. Petosa, A., Dielectric Resonator Antenna Handbook, Artech House, London, 2007.
32. Ashoor, A. Z. and O. M. Ramahi, "Dielectric resonator antenna arrays for microwave energy harvesting and far-field wireless power transfer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 59, 89-99, 2015.
33. Masius, A. A. and Y. Wong, "Design of high gain co-planar waveguide fed staircase shaped monopole antenna with modified ground plane for RF energy harvesting application," Proc. Mech. Eng. Res., 118-119, Day 2017, 2017.