A dielectric resonator (DR) based MIMO (Multiple Input Multiple Output) antenna with enhanced isolation is proposed in this letter. The proposed MIMO antenna consists of four hemispherical shaped dielectric resonator (HDR) radiating at 4.9 GHz. The isolation between two consecutive radiators is enhanced by rotating feeding line of one element at an angle of 180˚. The antenna is studied in terms of S-parameters, gain, envelope correlation coefficient (ECC), channel capacity loss (CCL) and diversity gain (DG). All the parameters are found to be within acceptable range. The proposed design is fabricated, and it is found that measured results are in good agreement with simulation.
2. Sharawi, M. S., Printed MIMO Antenna Engineering, Artech House, USA, 2014.
3. Petosa, A., Dielectric Resonator Antenna Handbook, Artech House, USA, 2007.
4. Zhang, Y. and B. Niu, "Compact Ultrawideband (UWB) slot antenna with wideband and high isolation for MIMO applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 54, 9-16, 2014.
5. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 5, 1917-1924, 2015.
6. Mao, C.-X., Q.-X. Chu, Y.-T. Wu, and Y.-H. Qian, "Design and investigation of closely-packed diversity UWB slot-antenna with high isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 41, 13-25, 2013.
7. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable devices in UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 8, 4257-4264, 2013.
8. Luo, C. M., J. S. Hong, and L. L. Zhong, "Isolation enhancement of a very compact UWB-MIMO slot antenna with two defected ground structures," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1766-1769, 2015.
9. Yu, Y., Y. Jiang, W. Feng, S. Mbayo, and S. Chen, "Compact multiport array with reduced mutual coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 39, 161-168, 2013.
10. Khan, M. S., A. D. Capobianco, A. I. Najam, I. Shoaib, E. Autizi, and M. F. Shafique, "Compact ultra-wideband diversity antenna with a floating parasitic digitated decoupling structure," IET Micr. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 10, 747-753, 2014.
11. Ketzaki, D. A. and T. V. Yioultsis, "Metamaterial-based design of planar compact MIMO monopoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 5, 2758-2766, 2013.
12. Zhang, S. and G. F. Pedersen, "Mutual coupling reduction for UWB MIMO antennas with a wideband neutralization line," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 166-169, 2015.
13. Yang, Y., Q. Chu, and C. Mao, "Multiband MIMO antenna for GSM, DCS, and LTE indoor applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1573-1576, 2016.
14. Zou, L., D. Abbott, and C. Fumeaux, "Omnidirectional cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna with dual polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 515-518, 2012.
15. Nasir, J., M. H. Jamaluddin, M. Khalily, M. R. Kamarudin, and I. Ullah, "Design of an MIMO dielectric resonator antenna for 4G applications," Wireless Person. Comm., Vol. 88, No. 3, 525-536, 2016.
16. Sharma, A., G. Das, and R. K. Gangwar, "Dual polarized triple band hybrid MIMO cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna for LTE2500/WLAN/WiMAX applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comp. Eng., Vol. 26, No. 9, 763-772, 2016.
17. Das, G., A. Sharma, R. K. Gangwar, and M. Sharawi, "Compact back to back DRA based four port MIMO antenna system with bi-directional diversity," Electronics Lett., Vol. 54, No. 14, 884-886, 2018.
18. Kumari, T., G. Das, A. Sharma, and R. K. Gangwar, "Design approach for dual element hybrid MIMO antenna arrangement for wideband applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comp. Eng., 2018, 10.1002/mmce.21486.
19. Mcallister, M. W. and S. A. Long, "Resonant hemispherical dielectric antenna," Electronics Lett., Vol. 20, No. 16, 657-659, 1984.
20. Nasir, J., M. H. Jamaluddin, M. Khalily, M. R. Kamarudin, I. Ullah, and R. Selvaraju, "A reduced size dual port MIMO DRA with high isolation for 4G applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comp. Eng., Vol. 25, No. 6, 495-501, 2015.
21. Islam, S. N., M. Kumar, G. Sen, and S. Das, "Design of a compact triple band antenna with independent frequency tuning for MIMO applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comp. Eng., 2018, 2018.10.1002/mmce.21620.