This paper presents a single layer, dual polarized 2.4 GHz microstrip patch antenna based on monostatic radiator. Microstrip-T (MS-T) feeds have been used for DC isolated Tx-Rx ports. It deploys differential feeding for receive mode operation to achieve high interport RF isolation. The differential feeding acts as a signal inversion technique to suppress the in-band self interference (SI) for simultaneous transmit and receive (STAR) operation at same frequency. The implemented single layer, dual polarized, compact patch antenna provides better than 78 dB isolation between DC isolated Tx- Rx ports at centre frequency of 2.393 GHz. Moreover, the implemented antenna achieves better than 64 dB interport isolation for 10 sdB-return loss bandwidth of 50 MHz (2.37 GHz to 2.42 GHz). The measured interport RF isolation is around 70 dB for 25 MHz bandwidth (2.385 GHz to 2.41 GHz). To the best of our knowledge, these are the highest levels of RF isolation reported for single layer, dual polarized microstrip patch antenna with DC isolated ports.
2. Marasevic, J., et al., "Resource allocation and rate gains in practical full-duplex systems," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 25, No. 1, 292-305, Feb. 2017.
3. Korpi, D., et al., "Full-duplex transceiver system calculations: Analysis of ADC and linearity challenges," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 13, No. 7, 3821-3836, Jul. 2014.
4. Anttila, L., et al., "Cancellation of power amplifier induced nonlinear self-interference in full-duplex transceivers," 2013 Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, 1193-1198, Pacific Grove, CA, 2013.
5. Nawaz, H. and I. Tekin, "Three dual polarized 2.4 GHz microstrip patch antennas for active antenna and in-band full duplex applications," 2016 16th Mediter. Microwave Symp. (MMS), 1-4, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 2016.
6. Chung, Y., et al., "High isolation dual-polarized patch antenna using integrated defected ground structure," IEEE Microw. & Wireless Components Lett., Vol. 14, No. 1, 4-6, Jan. 2004.
7. Nawaz, H. and I. Tekin, "Dual port single patch antenna with high interport isolation for 2.4 GHz in-band full duplex wireless applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 1756-1759, 2016.
8. Deng, C., et al., "A wideband high-isolated dual-polarized patch antenna using two different balun feedings," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1617-1619, 2014.
9. Zhang, Y. and P. Wang, "Single ring two-port MIMO antenna for LTE applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 12, 998-1000, 2016.
10. Chang, K., et al., "Active integrated antennas," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 50, 937-943, Mar. 2002.
11. Luxey, C. and J.-M. Laheurte, "A retrodirective transponder with polarization duplexing for dedicated short range communications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 1910-1915, Sep. 1999.
12. Bialkowski, M. E. and H. J. Song, "Investigation into a power-combining using a reflect-array of dual polarized aperture-coupled microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, 841-849, 2002.
13. Puente, C., J. Anguera, and C. Borja, "Dual-band dual-polarized antenna array,", US Pat. 6,937,206, 2005.
14. Liang, X.-L., S.-S. Zhong, and W. Wang, "Design of a dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna with excellent polarization purity," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 44, 329-331, 2005.
15. Nawaz, H. and I. Tekin, "Double differential fed, dual polarized patch antenna with 90 dB interport RF isolation for 2.4 GHz in-band full duplex transceiver," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 2, 287-290, Feb. 2018.
16. Nawaz, H. and I. Tekin, "Dual-polarized, differential fed microstrip patch antennas with very high interport isolation for full-duplex communication," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 65, No. 12, 7355-7360, Dec. 2017.