In this paper, design and measurements of a highly selective π-CRLH dual-band bandpass filter, with transmission zeros optimized to serve Wi-Max applications, is presented. The dual-bands are designed at 5.2 and 5.7 GHz with a sharp rejection level between them and transmission zeros before and after the passbands. The filter is designed using coupled gap zerothorder composite right/left-handed (CRLH) resonators, which results in significant filter size reduction. Furthermore, two different coupled π-CRLH filters are discussed through the work development of this paper. The filter design concepts are verified and confirmed using electromagnetic simulations and experimental measurements. Presented results reveal that the proposed filter exhibits a rejection level greater than -20 dB, while maintaining 2 dB insertion loss and better than -25 dB for the transmission zeros with compact size (12×16 mm2) which is 70% smaller than similar conventional filters.
2. Eleftheriades, G. V., "Enabling RF/microwave devices using negative-refractive-index transmission-line (NRI-TL) metamaterials," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 2, 34-51, 2007.
3. Lai, A., T. Itoh, and C. Caloz, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 3, 34-50, 2004.
4. Caloz, C., "Metamaterial dispersion engineering concepts and applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 99, No. 10, 1711-1719, 2011.
5. Zhang, Q. L., B. Z. Wang, D. S. Zhao, and K. Wu, "A compact half-mode substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filter with wide out-of-band rejection," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, No. 7, 501-503, 2016.
6. Shen, G., W. Che, Q. Xue, and W. Yang, "Characteristics of dual composite right/left-handed unit cell and its applications to bandpass filter design," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 65, No. 6, 719-723, 2018.
7. Liu, X., C. Li, and F. Li, "Arbitrary Dual-band filter using composite right/left handed transmission line," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, presented, Bangkok, Thailand, Dec. 11-14, 2007.
8. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "Compact metamaterial coplanar waveguide ferrite tunable resonator," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 4, 406-412, 2016.
9. Jang, G. and S. Kahng, "Compact metamaterial zeroth-order resonator bandpass filter for a UHF band and its stopband improvement by transmission zeros," IET microwaves, antennas & propagation, Vol. 5, No. 10, 1175-1181, 2011.
10. Hassan, A. Y., M. A. Abdalla, and A. A. Ibrahim, "Building a zero-order BPF with CRLH transmission lines," Microwaves and RF, Vol. 57, 44-49, Jul. 2018.
11. Hassan, A. Y., M. A. Abdalla, and A. M. GalalEldin, "A compact high selective gap bandpass filter based CRLH TL," 2015 9th International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics-Metamaterials, Oxford, UK, 352-354, 2015,.
12. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "Composite right/left-handed coplanar waveguide ferrite forward coupled-line coupler," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 10, 1104-1111, 2015.
13. Ibrhim, A. A., M. A. Abdalla, and D. Budimir, "Coupled CRLH transmission lines for compact and high selective bandpass filters ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 6, 1248-1251, 2017.
14. Haiwen, Y., W. Z. Liu, P. Wen, and Z. Wang, "Compact balanced dual-band bandpass filter with high common-mode suppression using planar via-free CRLH resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 11, 996-998, 2018.
15. Abdalla1, M. A., D. K. Choudhary, and R. K. Chaudhary, "Reduced size dual band pass filters for RFID applications with excellent bandpass/bandstop characteristics," J. of Instrumentation, Vol. 13, 02005, Feb. 2018.
16. Wang, J.-K., Y.-J. Zhao, W. Liu, Q. Sun, and L. Qiang, "Bandpass filter using miniaturized SCRLH MZOR," Progress in Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 11-18, 2011.
17. Cao, H., M. Yi, H. Chen, J. Liang, Y. Yu, X. Tan, and S. Yang, "A novel compact tri-band bandpass filter based on dual-mode CRLH-TL resonator and transversal stepped-impedance resonator," Progress in Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 56, 53-58, 2015.
18. Fouad, M. A. and M. A. Abdalla, "Ultra compact CPW dual band filter based on Π-generalized metamaterial NRI transmission line," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 29, No. 8, 1093-1103, 2015.
19. Cai, Q., W. Che, G. Shen, and Q. Xue, "Wideband high-efficiency power amplifier using D/CRLH bandpass filtering matching topology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 1-13, 2019.
20. Yin, B., Z. Lin, X. Cai, H. Hao, W. Luo, and W. Huang, "A novel compact CRLH bandpass filter on csrr-loaded substrate integrated waveguide cavity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 121-129, 2018.
21. Jang, G. and S. Kahng, "Design of a dual-band metamaterial band-pass filter using zeroth order resonance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 149-162, 2010.
22. Wang, K., H. Tang, R. Wu, C. Yu, J. Zhang, and X. Wang, "A novel compact dual-band filter based on quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide and complementary split ring resonator," Microwave Opt. Tech. Let., Vol. 58, 2704-2707, 2016.
23. Cho, Y. H. and S. W. Yun, "Design of balanced dual-band bandpass filters using asymmetrical coupled lines," IEEE Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 61, 2814-2820, 2013.
24. Bahl, I., Lumped Elements for RF and Microwave Circuits, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2003.