In fusion reaction, plasma parameters such as the density and temperature of electrons should be diagnosed continuously. There are various methods to diagnose plasma parameters. In these, reflectometry systems are widely used to measure the electron density and plasma physics study. In reflectometry systems, antenna plays an important role as a transmitter/receiver element. This paper presents the design of a D-band (110-170 GHz) corrugated horn antenna suitable for reflectometry system. The simulated results for antenna are compared with that of the measurements. Further, different structures are proposed to ease fabrication complexities and reduce cost.
2. Conway, G. D., "Microwave reflectometry for fusion plasma diagnosis," Nucl. Fus., Vol. 46, S665-S669, 2006.
3. Sakaguchi, M., H. Idei, T. Saito, and T. Shigematsu, "Development of full D-band corrugated horn antenna for ECRH system," Plasma and Fusion Research, Vol. 8, 1405163-1405163, 2013.
4. Olver, A. D., P. J. B. Clarricoats, A. A. Kishk, and L. Shafai, Microwave Horns and Feeds, IEE, London, 1994.
5. Schorr, M. G. and J. F. J. Beck, "Electromagnetic field of a conical horn," Appl. Phys. J., Vol. 21, 795-801, 1950.
6. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
7. Potter, P. D., "A new horn antenna with suppressed sidelobes and equal beamwidths," Microw. J., Vol. 6, 71-78, 1961.
8. Simons, A. J. and A. F. Kay, "The scalar feed --- A high performance feed for large paraboloid reflectors," Design and Construction of Large Steerable Aerials, Vol. 21, 213-217, 1966.
9. Clarricoats, P. J. B., A. D. Olver, and M. S. A. S. Rizk, "A dielectric loaded conical feed with low crosspolar radiation," Proc. URSI Symp. Electromagn. Theory, 351-354, 1983.
10. Chung, J. Y., "Ultra-wideband dielectric-loaded horn antenna with dual-linear polarization capability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 397-411, 2010.
11. Lier, E., "Hybrid-mode horn antenna with design-specific aperture distribution and gain," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 502-505, 2003.
12. Hwang, R. B., H. W. Liu, and C. Y. Chin, "A metamaterial-based E-plane horn antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 275-289, 2009.
13. Cupido, L., et al., "New millimeter-wave access for JET reflectometry and ECE," Fusion Engineering and Design, Vol. 74, 707-713, 2005.
14. McElhinney, P., C. R. Donaldson, L. Zhang, and W. He, "A high directivity broadband corrugated horn for W-band gyro-devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 1453-1456, 2013.
15. Teniente, J., D. Goni, R. Gonzalo, and C. del-Rio, "Choked Gaussian antenna: Extremely low sidelobe compact antenna design," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, 200-202, 2002.
16. Granet, C., T. S. Bird, and G. L. James, "Comments on choked Gaussian antenna: Extremely low sidelobe compact antenna design," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 363-364, 2003.
17. Teniente, J., A. Martinez, B. Larumbe, A. Ibanez, and R. Gonzalo, "Design guidelines of horn antennas that combine horizontal and vertical corrugations for satellite communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, 1314-1323, 2015.
18. Gibson, H. J., B. Thomas, L. Rolo, M. C. Wiedner, A. E. Maestrini, and P. De. Maagt, "A novel spline-profile diagonal horn suitable for integration into THz split-block components," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 7, 657-663, 2017.
19. Jyoti, R., S. Chakrabarty, R. Dey, and T. Kurian, "Synthesis and analysis of multi-mode profile horn using mode matching technique and evolutionary algorithm," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, 276-282, 2016.
20. Vishnu, G. J., S. Chaudhary, and D. A. Pujara, "Performance comparison of a corrugated horn with a spline profile horn for plasma diagnostics," 2017 Nirma University International Conference on Engineering (NUiCONE), 1-4, 2017.
21. Stix, T. H., Waves in Plasmas, Springer Science & Business Media, 1992.
22. Thompson, W. B., An Introduction to Plasma Physics, Elsevier, 2013.
23. James, G. L., "Analysis and design of TE11-to-HE11 corrugated cylindrical waveguide mode converters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 29, 1059-1066, 1981.
24. Granet, C. and G. L. James, "Design of corrugated horns: A primer," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, 76-84, 2005.
25. Pujara, D. A., "Project report: Design, fabrication and testing of a corrugated horn antenna for millimeter wave plasma diagnostics,", Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences, Department of Atomic Energy, 2019.
26. Wylde, R. J., "Millimetre-wave Gaussian beam-mode optics and corrugated feed horns," IEE Proceedings H (Microwaves, Optics and Antennas), Vol. 131, 258-262, IET Digital Library, 1984.