A novel wideband circularly polarized (CP) cross-dipole with wide 3 dB axial-ratio (AR) beamwidth is presented. To generate CP radiation, the cross-dipole is fed by a Wilkinson power divider which can provide 90° phase difference. The gain beamwidth and 3 dB AR beamwidth can be widened by the bent arm structures of cross-dipole and four vertical parasitic elements. As a result, the 3 dB AR beamwidth and gain beamwidth of the proposed antenna can achieve over 210° and 105°, respectively. It is observed that the impedance bandwidth (|S11| ≤ -10 dB) of the proposed antenna is 1.2~2.0 GHz, and the AR bandwidth (AR ≤ 3 dB) is 1.28~1.76 GHz. The simulated and measured results are in good agreement, which shows that the proposed antenna is a good candidate for the application of satellite communications.
2. Nasimuddin, X. Q. and Z. N. Chen, "A compact circularly polarized slotted patch antenna for GNSS applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 12, 6506-6509, Dec. 2014.
3. Bai, X., S.-W. Qu, S. Yang, J. Hu, and Z.-P. Nie, "Millimeter-wave circularly polarized tapered-elliptical cavity antenna with wide axialratio beamwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 2, 811-814, Feb. 2016.
4. Chen, X., L. Yang, J.-Y. Zhao, and G. Fu, "High-efficiency compact circularly polarized microstrip antenna with wide beamwidth for airborne communication," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1518-1521, 2016.
5. Luo, Y., Q. X. Chu, and L. Zhu, "A low-profile wide-beamwidth circularly-polarized antenna via two pairs of parallel dipoles in a square contour," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 3, 931-936, Mar. 2015.
6. Luo, Y., Q. X. Chu, and L. Zhu, "A miniaturized wide-beamwidth circularly polarized planar antenna via two pairs of folded dipoles in a square contour," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 8, 3753-3759, Aug. 2015.
7. Zhang, X., L. Zhu, and N.-W. Liu, "Pin-loaded circularly-polarized patch antennas with wide 3-dB axial ratio beamwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 2, 521-528, Feb. 2017.
8. Chen, J., M. Wang, and L. Hu, "Broad beamwidth circularly polarized microstrip antenna for CNSS band application," Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf., IEEE, 2015.
9. Ta, S. X., H, Choo, and I. Park, "Multi-band, wide-beam, circularly polarized, crossed, asymmetrically barbed dipole antennas for GPS applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 11, 5771-5775, Nov. 2015.
10. Luo, Y., Q. X. Chu, and J. Bornemann, "Enhancing cross-polarization discrimination or axial ratio beamwidth of diagonally dual or circularly polarized base station antennas by using vertical parasitic elements," Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 9, 1190-1196, Jan. 2017.
11. Ta, S. X. and I. Park, "Crossed dipole loaded with magneto-electric dipole for wideband and wide-beam circularly polarized radiation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 358-361, 2015.
12. Sun, Y.-X., K. W. Leung, and K. Lu, "Broadbeam cross-dipole antenna for GPS applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag, Vol. 65, No. 10, 5605-5610, Oct. 2017.