Cables and electronic devices typically employ electromagnetic shields to prevent coupling from external radiation. The imperfect nature of these shields allows external electric and magnetic fields to induce unwanted currents and voltages on the inner conductor by penetrating into the interior regions of the cable. In this paper, we verify a circuit model tool using a previously proposed analytic model , by evaluating induced currents and voltages on the inner conductor of the shielded cable. Comparisons with experiments are also provided, aimed to validate the proposed circuit model. We foresee that this circuit model will enable coupling between electromagnetic and circuit simulations.
2. Casey, K. F., "Electromagnetic shielding behavior of wire-mesh screens," IEEE Trans. on Elec. Comp., Vol. 30, No. 3, 298-306, 1988.
3. Denny, H. W. and K. R. Shouse, "EMI shielding of conductive gaskets in corrosive environments," IEEE Int. Symp. on Elec. Comp., 20-24, Washington, D.C., 1990.
4. Klinkenbusch, L., "On the effectiveness of enclosures," IEEE Trans. on Elec. Comp., Vol. 47, No. 3, 589-601, 2005.
5. Vance, E. F., "Shielding effectiveness of braided shields," IEEE Trans. on Elec. Comp., Vol. 17, No. 2, 71-77, 1975.
6. Vance, E. F., Coupling to Shielded Cables, R. E. Krieger, 1987.
7. Lee, K. S. H., EMP Interaction: Principles, Techniques, and Reference Data, Hemisphere Publishing Corp., Washington, 1986.
8. Celozzi, S., R. Araneo, and G. Lovat, Electromagnetic Shielding, John Wiley and Sons, 2008.
9. Tesche, F. M., M. V. Ianoz, and T. Karlsson, EMC Analysis Methods and Computational Models, John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York, 1997.
10., Xyce Parallel Circuit Simulator, http://xyce.sandia.gov.
11. Kley, T., "Optimized single-braided cable shields," IEEE Trans. on Elec. Comp., Vol. 35, 1-9, 1993.
12. Warne, L. K., W. L. Langston, L. I. Basilio, and W. A. Johnson, "First principles cable braid electromagnetic penetration model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 66, 63-89, 2016.
13. Campione, S., L. K. Warne, W. L. Langston, W. A. Johnson, R. S. Coats, and L. I. Basilio, "Multipole-based cable braid electromagnetic penetration model: Electric penetration case," IEEE Trans. on Elec. Comp., Vol. 60, No. 2, 444-452, 2018.
14. Campione, S., L. K. Warne, W. L. Langston, and L. I. Basilio, "First principles model of electric cable braid penetration with dielectrics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 82, 1-11, 2018.
15. Campione, S., L. K. Warne, and W. L. Langston, "Translation of exterior electromagnetic environment to pin-level voltages and currents on cables,", Sandia National Laboratories Report, SAND2018-12274, Albuquerque, NM, USA, 2018.
16. Warne, L. K., L. I. Basilio, W. L. Langston, K. C. Chen, H. G. Hudson, M. E.Morris, S. L. Stronach, W. A. Johnson, and W. Derr, "Electromagnetic coupling into two standard calibration shields on the Sandia cable tester,", Sandia National Laboratories Report, SAND2014-0842, Albuquerque, NM, USA, 2014.
17. Fang, C. H., S. Q. Zheng, H. Tan, D. G. Xie, and Q. Zhang, "Shielding effectiveness measurements on enclosures with various apertures by both mode-tuned reverberation chamber and GTEM cell methodologies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 103-114, 2008.
18., "IEEE Standard Method for Measuring the Effectiveness of Electromagnetic Shielding Enclosures," IEEE Std 299-2006 (Revision of IEEE Std 299-1997), 1-52, Feb. 28, 2007.